CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Cold Start Procedure- FNG

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 05:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Start Procedure- FNG

OK, I'm showing my new guy status big time here, but here goes.

My Clymer book has not arrived yet so I'm asking for a hint.

Cold start procedure... What does that little **** do? Is that like an enricher, or a maybe a choke- or what? Do you turn it, or push/pull it, or ?

And... do you guys turn the petcock off after a ride?

I've been on fuel injected bikes so long I an out of touch ... and especially with Hondas.

Thanks

Bob

Old 06-10-2009, 05:55 PM

I think enricher and choke are the same? i think thats what the choke does. Im sure someone more exprerienced will chime in. anyways i use the choke only once in the morning on cold starts or if i havent ridden the bike for hours. You pull it towards you to warm the bike up, Then push it back towards the front of the bike when you are ready to ride. i leave the petcock on all day and just turn it off at night....

Old 06-10-2009, 10:40 PM

Choke is another name for enricher circuit.

Pull the lever all the way down on a cold start and when the bike warms up and the RPMs rise, raise the lever a bit at a time until you're fully warmed up.

Leave the Petcock on all the time and only turn it to off when removing the tank.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:49 PM

By "little ****," do you mean the one near the petcock (the "fuel valve")? If so, that's the idle adjustment. Don't play with it (yet).

Your choke is on the left handle (I don't think it's marked). It's a little lever with an arrow next to it pointing down.

When starting up form a cold start, move the choke lever down about 3/4 of the way. The engine should rev pretty high. You want to adjust the choke so the RPMs hang around 3k, so the engine warms up. Let it sit like this for anywhere from 30 seconds to a couple of minutes, depending on outdoor temperature. Slide the choke back up (towards the front of the bike), and the RPMs should drop to around 1k.

Now, if the bike sputters out, repeat the proceedure. If it still happens, you need to adjust that idle ****. turn it to the right in 1/8-turn increments until the bike stays on, then adjust it a little more until your bike hovers at 1200 RPMs (NOT 12,000!). This is the factory idle speed for your bike.

If you turn the choke off, and the idle is too high, turn the **** to the left.

You may find after riding for a bit that the idle speed hangs a bit higher. Adjust the **** to the left again, and turn the bike on with the choke open longer next time.

If you are new to bikes in general, and are riding in traffic, you may want to have the idle closer to 2k. The additional throttle that provides will make it harder to stall when starting from a dead stop if you let the clutch out too fast. Bear in mind that this is cheating, and you should only do this as a safety precaution if you get caught in traffic while you're still inexperienced. leaving it up liek that sucks up gas, issues unnecessary engine wear, and causes you to never know how to use the throttle properly. if you are having THAT much trouble, you should practice somewhere safe, like a large parking lot.

BTW, if you can "push/pull" that ****, it came out of it's bracket. Get down at eye level, and you should see it. it's a "C" shape, and you can slide the **** back in without having to remove the fairing.

I hope this was at least close to the info you were looking for.

Last edited by johnnyx; 06-10-2009 at 10:54 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:38 AM

Thanks johnnyx... yup, I'm pretty new to the game- only been riding since... well... call it 50 years.
Of course back in the day they all had chokes and kick starting too. My last 6 bikes have been fuel injected so I just forgot about the old time rituals. Besides that- the dufus who let me buy the bike was not the kind to know or understand things.
One of the first things I did when I got the bike home was take out the sheetrock screws he had used to hold on various things... ought to be a law against bike abuse.
Thanks for the best explanation... I kind of figured the idle speed adjuster was not really the choke... I just never noticed the choke lever either- my bad.

Bob

Old 06-11-2009, 08:46 AM

NP, it's kindof unassuming. We have the same bike, and I've done major disassembly / reassembly on mine like 3 times since........March. So, feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions about it.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:18 AM

I finally got a chance go to the garage a minute ago and took a look. Clever those Orientals... there is a little lever on the clutch side labelled "Choke"... Brilliant!

I thought Choke was something you did to your Petcock... oh well, live and learn.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:24 AM

johnny- see PM, thanks

Old 06-11-2009, 10:30 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hopz

One of the first things I did when I got the bike home was take out the sheetrock screws he had used to hold on various things... ought to be a law against bike abuse.

Bob
WHAT!!! Drywall screws... WTF!! Why would anyone consider those a solution? Well, I guess owning a motorcycle is like being a parent... anyone can be a parent just like how anyone can own a bike.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:04 PM

Didn't you get that memo? Aparently since the nifty invention of drywall screws, rednecks everywhere have been using them as a home remedy for everything. Squeaky plastics? *screw*