CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Clutch problem. Help Please

Old 09-19-2006, 05:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch problem. Help Please

I was riding my friends bike today and it was running fine in the morning. When I got home from school, i did a burn out in my driveway and parked the bike. I went out again to go for a ride and the bike starts up holding the clutch down as usual. Then I squeeze the clutch and put it in 1st but the bike doesnt move anywhere. If I let the clutch go completely while in gear, the bike stays on but doesnt move. Im pretty good workin on cars. I changed my brakes on my gsxr so i think i can fix it but im not sure off all the steps. Can someone let me know what parts I need to change if I have to change any and maybe a quick walkthrough of the process. That would be great. Thankx in advance.

Old 09-19-2006, 06:41 PM
Default RE: Clutch problem. Help Please

im no expert but sounds like you burnt out a the clutch... im guessing since your posting on this forum its a f(x) model? i would probably guess the clutch but thats me.... some people with the new gsxrs go threw their clutches really easy because they come factory with the slipper clutch and if you dont know how to ride them they can go out faster then tires

Old 09-19-2006, 06:46 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could be clutch fibers. Or could be broken basket. Not too hard to disassemble and rebuild but if you've never been in there before I'd suggest getting a manual.

Old 09-19-2006, 07:09 PM

so once i drain the oil and take off the cover, how will i know what to look for? are the fibers going to be broken or worn out really bad or wat?? if someone can pm me and let me know that will be cool cause i've been lookin around and found some info on the basics on opening it up and ****. thanx

Old 09-19-2006, 07:24 PM

That is really weird that something like that happened. I really don't think you have a clutch problem but hopefully thats all it is. That is odd for it to work one second then absolutly nothing an hour later. It usally starts to slip when they get thin but i have never heard of that happening. Sounds like its not in gear. Try second gear or third. And make sure you still have a chain

Old 09-20-2006, 04:51 AM

Making burnouts is cool but it’s very bad for your tires, chain and clutch. I use to do them on my old GS Suzuki and once the clutch dropped by a full 2cm. Eventually I had to replace the clutch.
To do it is quite easy. You just have to drain the oil and pop of the one engine side cover and there it sits and if you don’t by them from Honda they aren’t that expensive.
I agree with transamlt1man.Usualy the clutch starts slipping but you don’t loose it completely in one go but maybe you’re lucky or maybe it got stuck.
What happens when you do burnouts or wheelies is that the clutch plates start making little notches on the basket. After a while this makes the fingers uneven and the plates start to get stuck when you try to engage the clutch. This can be machined away but usually it’s better to replace the whole basket which is quite expensive.

How is the tension on the lever? Can you pull it easily or is it stiff like normal?

Old 09-20-2006, 10:17 PM

Yea I agree with Gerharddvs. I have seen some baskets in pretty back shape with large grooves. I myself have machined them out on dirt bike. But then your dealing with less meat.

Old 09-22-2006, 04:16 PM

The clutch lever is exactly the same tension as it was. i followed the cable and it aint broken. i tried moving it in 2nd and 3rd but nothin. the bike has 20k miles on it. my other friend told me that the clutch was on its way out since its the original. but im hopin thats all it is. is neone in the nj area by the way???

Old 09-23-2006, 05:21 PM

so does it actually pop into gear nut it doesnt move if it does that dude have fun i had the sme problem my budy burnt my s$%# up. what its doing is the basket is not grabbing the crank when its shifting so either the crank striped or the basket blew mine was in 3 pieces lol you would be able to tell if the clutches were bad causxse it would still grab just reall softly but if it doesnt do anything its the basket just go after market when replacing it.it last longer and you anhave all the fun you want but you should still replace the fibers and steels while your at it.