CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Clicking Noise Front wheel/Front brake. Need Help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 01:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking Noise Front wheel/Front brake. Need Help.

I went out for a long ride today and noticed a clicking noise coming from the front of the bike. It sounds like a rock or a nail is in the tire, but couldn't find anything. I noticed it the most decelerating and under 30 mph. I'm confident it is not chain or engine related. The clicking noise goes away when I'm using my front brake. I tried looking at everything very carefully and couldn't see anything out of the ordinary. It is dependent on speed and tire rotation. Clicks faster at higher speed and goes away when I stop.

Any ideas? I really don't want the front of my bike to fall apart.

Thanks for the help. (again)

Old 05-20-2010, 01:26 PM
Default clicking noise on front of bike

I have the same noise coming from my bike so i decided to put it on my stands and spin the tire to see if thats where it was coming from sure enough i noticed that my right brake pad was slightly moving up and down but not enough to hurt anything, i also noticed that my rotor wasnt completly strait but wasnt worped enough to harm anything my only solution to fixing this problem would be to change my calaper and rotors because the caliper over time has wore itself out causing the play in the brake pad. this may be the same problem your having but i wouldnt know without checking it out myself good luck hope this helps.

Old 05-20-2010, 01:52 PM

haha holy crap! I just went out and checked and you were right. THANKS! Any cheap way to fix it? How crucial is it to fix/adjust? The braking feels normal to me.

Thanks for the help.

Old 05-20-2010, 03:15 PM

i think chuckbear is selling a set of rotors in the for sale section

Old 05-20-2010, 03:21 PM

Is it a rotor issue or a pad/caliper issue? The pad is what was loose. I think the rotors are new(ish) and were replaced a little before I bought it.

Old 05-20-2010, 05:33 PM

i dunno you are the one who said you had same thing as guy above who said his warped rotor caused this caliper to wear out from the pads moving excessivly, thats why i said he was selling rotors
otherwise if your rotor is good, look for a used caliper. im sure that its easier and possibly cheaper to just swap it out than rebuilding the one you got

Last edited by willduce; 05-20-2010 at 05:36 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:41 AM

rite now im in iraq i have not tinkered with my bike in 6 months so its hard to say if i remember what is bad weather not its the caliper, or break pads, cheapest thing to do would be to change the pads see if that makes any difference, if still an issue change the caliper but you will also have to change the rotors because thats what caused the problem in the the first place. but i look at it this way im a mechanic by trade weather its motorcycle or car i can fix just about anything. I say if its just a pad moving back and forth and not causing any real physical damage than i wouldnt worry about it to much unless you just dont like the noise personally i cant stand the noise so i would spend the extra money changing everything rotors calipers and pads only because my bike is old and its got 40,000 miles on it and i got the money to spend on it. good luck hope this helps

Old 05-24-2010, 03:19 AM

If your rotor is bent on one side or one spot, you can usually just carefully bend it back to straight. At least try it before you buy a new rotor.