CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Cheap way to replace your keys

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 12:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

call around, if you can't find someone locally that does it I already asked my shop and they do it, so I'm sure for a nominal extra fee for shipping and whatot they could do it for you, I can ask.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by dyracuse
call around, if you can't find someone locally that does it I already asked my shop and they do it, so I'm sure for a nominal extra fee for shipping and whatot they could do it for you, I can ask.
id be down for that..if you could that would be great..ive called most of the locksmiths around here, and as soon as they hear the word motorcycle, they either cut me off to say no or hang up on me. lol a-holes..

here's a question..ive been looking for a left passenger peg with a helmet lock (the lock on mine is missing). is there any way to find out the key info for a helmet lock? or is it just under the cap? asking because all the pegs ive seen with the lock on ebay is without a key..

Old 02-07-2012, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by Will.Bass
id be down for that..if you could that would be great..ive called most of the locksmiths around here, and as soon as they hear the word motorcycle, they either cut me off to say no or hang up on me. lol a-holes..

here's a question..ive been looking for a left passenger peg with a helmet lock (the lock on mine is missing). is there any way to find out the key info for a helmet lock? or is it just under the cap? asking because all the pegs ive seen with the lock on ebay is without a key..
Really, who did you try? Ace lock and key are in FL and specialize in automotive and code cutting according to their website... Like i said it needs to be a "good" locksmith.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:03 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I personally use the round key and keep spares to my gastank and helmet lock for 24 hour access. Round key makes it harder for theft and hide it on my Streetfighter for easy access.

Honda CBR600F2 CBR600F3 CBR600 F2 F3 Round Key Ignition | eBay

Old 02-15-2012, 04:24 PM

I can talk to them sometime soon, you would definitely need to have a credit card to do it though, if you don't I won't even bother asking cause it would be too much hassle for them. As far as the other locks, when you buy a used lock set it's a gamble unless you know it's the same code as yours, as far as I know there isn't a code on anywhere else, if someone wants to chime in and correct me I'd appreciate it but I don't know of another location, also it turns out you will need a working key or at the very least a person who can pick your gas tank open to get at the code, removing the screws will not take it off, it is still locked on until you turn the key.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:38 PM

As far as getting a new helmet lock I don't think that would be worth it at all, if someone really wants the helmet they can cut the strap or undo it from the bike. What I tend to do if I'm going someone that I have to leave my stuff with the bike is take a small backpack with me and I put a rubber wrapped cable lock for bicycles in it. I take that and pass it through my rear rim, through the leg of my riding suit, put the helmet on the suit and pass the rest of the cable through the opening of the helmet and back onto the the other end. Keeps everything nice and safe since hardly anyone around here walks around with bolt cutters.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:57 PM

The seat lock on my 75 cb550 broke and I had another from a later model parts bike but no key. The lock itself was identical to my old one however being it was from a later cb it didn't have any key code stamped on it like my old 1 did. That didn't phase my local locksmith at all, he was still able to make a key.