CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 600F3 (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f3-17/)
-   -   Cheap way to replace your keys (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f3-17/cheap-way-replace-your-keys-133345/)

dyracuse 01-03-2012 07:52 PM

Cheap way to replace your keys

One thing I noticed since I look at everything way too closely is that the key has a code on it, this code also matches the code that can be found underneath the gas filler when you either open it with the key or open it with Allen wrenches when you've lost the key. This code can be taken to the dealer along with the year of your bike and can be used to cut a brand new key for $10 that will work on all the locks on all three locks on the bike, much cheaper than replacing it all.

Mattson 01-04-2012 02:03 AM

At least here you can walk into a locksmith shop (usually has a little booth in the lobby of a supermarket), give them the key and get a copy for a tenner no questions asked. The only situation they need to see the pink slip is when the key has a chip.
I got this trusted shop where I make all my keys. They have a device that tells them the "code/recipe" how to make the keys, but there's this young guy working there who doesn't use them. He looks at the key and "reads" it with just his eyes (at least ABLOY-keys for out doors here dont have the code written in them) and makes the copy "from the hip". Works like charm every time.

A good thing you brought this up. Gotta make copies of my bike's keys before i lose them. Came with only one set.

dyracuse 01-31-2012 10:21 AM

Well honestly I was thinking more from the threads I saw in the past where people lost their keys entirely, this is how you get keys made if you have none at all, you just take the gas filler off the bike and it has a code, very helpful also to people getting a good deal on a bike cause it doesn't have keys, could save them a couple hundred.

MadHattr059 01-31-2012 01:37 PM

Besides making a copy of the key, it's a good idea to write down that key code
somewhere you'll find it later, to avoid those scenerios. Redundent, never is. lol

And while there's a way to remove the gas cap without a key (spiceymeow,
did a write-up) it's a PTA because the allen screws only hold the hinge to
the bike, the cap, itself, locks down to the tank. So the allen screws will
NOT release the cap. Thus, making it difficult to see the key number
printed on it.

Ern

Hootie233 02-02-2012 01:43 AM

Remove the ignition and put a 3 wire switch in its place and BAM keyless ignition! Just hide it well.

Will.Bass 02-04-2012 02:39 PM

anyone know of a dealer near jacksonville fl that still does this? i just called honda of jacksonville with my code(s) in hand, and they said that they dont have the means of doing it (honda no longer supplies key cutters)

Shadow 02-05-2012 05:54 AM

they dont have the means of doing it

You can buy blanks on e-Bay and take them to your local locksmith who should do them cheaply.

Will.Bass 02-05-2012 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Shadow (Post 1129300)
they dont have the means of doing it

You can buy blanks on e-Bay and take them to your local locksmith who should do them cheaply.

that's true if you posses the key..and/or your keys are in good condition. but i was talking more along the lines of getting it cut off of the code like the previous posts were stating..when you have a 16 year old key, it's not likely a copy of THAT key is going to do very well..(learned that when i copied my 23 year old mustang keys..lol)

Will.Bass 02-05-2012 10:55 AM

it's like the Micheal Keaton movie "Multiplicity"...A copy of a copy! lol

Multiplicity #4 - YouTube

RedBaron 02-05-2012 02:02 PM

Most good locksmiths will have a code cutting machine and will use your code to cut the key, so it won't be a copy.