CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

chain suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 08:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chain suggestions

Ok its time to go ahead and change out my sprockets and chain. I was wanting some opinions on what chain is decent. I looked on ebay and found some cheap D.I.D chains people are selling new. but i dont want to wait days for the bid to finally end. I am currently running a -1/0 and its a RK 520 chain. i want to atleast do a 525 or a 530 chain and (-1/+2) sprockets. I picked out a nice AFAM 14T front sprocket and a Drive System 45T rear sprocket. if i cant find a decent chain i will just buy the sprocket set off the website i found the Drivesystem sprocket and go from there. any help would be appriciated. Id like a rivet chain because i see alot of headaches with the master links and the safety issues with them. I also searched but came up with a couple of threads that were helpful but didnt seem to help with chain choices. I will need something reasonably priced as well. any help would be appriciated

Brandon

Old 02-13-2011, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by billetproof97
i want to atleast do a 525 or a 530 chain and (-1/+2) sprockets.
Brandon
why on earth would you want to go from a 520 chain to a heavier 525 or 530 chain? there is a nice set on ebay that comes with vortex sprockets and a new xw-ring chain for like 180. it is a 520 conversion kit. the difference between the chain sizes is just that. 530 is going to be the heaviest (and biggest links) chain. your engine in theory will have to labor more to turn it. they came stock on the f2. the f3 got an upgraded 525 chain and 15 front and 43 rear sprcokets. that is not a bad combo. the lightest reasonable chains available are the 520's. like i said, they will be lighter and the chain links will be smaller. i believe that with a 520 kit, you will need about a 108 link chain. you are right about the rivet style chains being more dependable, but on the street, i dont think that most people ride hard enough for an extended amount of time for it to be a safety concern with a clip style master link, though it is always nice to have that extra piece of mind. the other variable that you will find with chains is the difference between an older style and the newer sealed oring chains, then to further the confusion they also have x-ring, xo-ring and xw-ring. most people will tell you that for street use, the differences between o ring and the x ring variants are not enough to justify the huge price difference, but then again, if you can find an x ring in the same price range by a quality manufacturer, then why not get it? i hope that this answers some of your questions. to recap, the kit i was telling you about on ebay the rk chain 520 Qucik Acceleration 14-43 combo kit for like 180 is about the best you will find for the money, especially since it comes with a lighter aluminum vortex rear sprocket.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:39 PM

Well I had a 520 on my first f2, and the bike used to be a race bike. I dont have much experience with chains, but in my opinion 520 is a good choice for normal riding, or racing. If you ride like I do, race it on the streets lol, hard riding like taking off fast, occasional wheelie, etc.. You would want a heavier duty chain and sprocket. When I was running the 520 I had a couple teeth brake off. Noooo good! So I immediately bought a 525 set with a heavy duty chain. I wished I remembered what I bought that long ago because it was a really nice chain. I think I bought one for the higher cc bikes. And I did not notice a difference at all. Actually it seemed to be a lot smoother, and the chain barely stretched at ALL with my hard riding.
So IMO, depending on your riding habits, go with the one that fits your style.
Oh and look at the tensile strength and wear life indexes too. Do some research, I go to Dennis Kirk. They have all the good specs there and reviews for a lot.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:08 PM

The 520 chain and sprockets don't last as long as I would like them to. I have vortex sprockets on it now. From pervious owner. Its aluminum and mine have worn so no more aluminum sprockets. I want steel for longer life. The 520 kits usually come with the softer metals like aluminum etc. The 525 and 530 set ups will last longer so I hear. These vortex sprockets are **** I don't care what you guys say. They cost more money for a crappy rear sprocket that I will have to change in 2 months I don't want that to be the case. I've already picked my sprockets but chains are a different story. Idodirt suggested the drive system rear steel sprocket to a previous old post that I searched for so I will take his advice to heart. Alot of people seem to like the afam sprocket as well. So id like to try it out. Im having a hard time deciding on spending alot of money on a chain. Just for the sprockets they are $62 that's without a chain. Im think I got off cheap considering a vortex rear sprocket is like $60+ alone. The -1/+2 in the rear will def help out with acceleration. Going to a "heavier" 525 setup will not be noticeable. I've looked this up and that's why im going 525 or 530 depending on what happens.

Brandon

Old 02-13-2011, 10:37 PM

I'm considering getting a supersprox rear sprocket next time. Lifetime warranty.
http://www.supersproxusa.com/products.php?cat=1566

Old 02-13-2011, 10:43 PM

I to wanted the supersprox but on the website it doesn't mention if it's 520,525,530. But 95-96 used 530 and 97-98 used 525. Im assuming they would go by stock specs but email them to double check

Brandon

Old 02-13-2011, 11:15 PM

Lookin at it now. its 525. Oh and guarantee is only if you buy the kit.

http://www.supersproxusa.com/our_guarantee.php