CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

CBR600 loses power "runs out of gas" or maybe floods?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 12:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CBR600 loses power "runs out of gas" or maybe floods?

Hi There,
My name is Andrew, I am new to the site, new to motorcycles and new to riding. I just recently bought a 1998 CBR600 and upon riding it home, the RPMS dropped suddenly and died. I was in I think second gear around 6 or 7000 RPM. I have checked the tank breather vent for vapor lock but it is clear. Also I drained the carb floats and replaced the gas and it started right up. I then rode it around a parking lot for 2 hours, in first in low RPMS and it didn't cut out once. I thought the problem was old gas. I then took it out this morning and sure enough once I got up into higher RPMS it choked and died and I couldnt get it started for the longest time, finally bump started it and made it almost home as I slowed down it died again. I ended up pushing it the rest of the way home. I don't think it can be vapor lock I think because I checked the breather on the tank, is there any other way it could be a vaccum lock? Also I am pretty sure it must be running lean for it to lose power and die like that, could it be too much or too little air? Could it be a clogged fuel filter or petcock? Or could it be the fuel pump or a relay? Is there a sensor that when the oil gets to hot or something it shuts off the bike? I don't think it's electrical as all the lights stay on when the bike's RPMS die. I have done an oil change to rule out bad or too little of oil. Also today I stripped off the carbs and found that they look like they were recently serviced and also the filter looked new aswell. It was a K&N filter is that stock or could it be messing with the ratio in the carb? Also I thought it was not always the case, but it seems every time I start it up it has a bluish smoke coming out the back, it looks like it might be burning oil or maybe it could be a blown head gasket? It seems that after a few minutes it levels off and nothing is coming out of the tailpipe though, wouldnt a blown headgasket be constant? Anyways thanks for your help guys and glad to be a part of this forum!