CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

CBR F3 Overheating BAD Coolant Boiling

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 02:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CBR F3 Overheating BAD Coolant Boiling

After all this work of getting new plugs, air filter, oil change, carbs done by a shop. Now my bike is overheating and overheating bad.

On my way to work i was at a stopped signal and the bike eventually just started spewing coolant from the top radiator reservoir nipple, the water pump, and the right side of the bike i think had a coolant hose that just let some out too, and it was all steaming. I don't have the temperature gauge working but obliviously it got way too hot. Also worth noting my fan never turned on but the fan itself works, so I want to wire that to manual switch since i live in South Florida and its always incredibly hot anyway.

I naturally thought there was just an air pocket in the system perhaps, so i went ahead and followed this process. the coolant that came out was dirty, i couldn't necessarily tell if there was oil or not i dont think so.I made sure to tighten all the clamps as best as possible too.

CBR600F2/F3 Coolant Change. (the quick easy way) ? RideCBR.com Honda CBR Forum

flushed until pure crystal clear water then topped it off with coolant, then when i turned it on to start the bleeding process its worth noting the coolant rose to the top and everytime i blipped the throttle the coolant just kinda came out the top filler hose rather than bubble down. took it for a 6 minute ride around the block, then let it sit for a bit and it started steaming and coolant came out the top radiator reservoir nipple. So still overheated after the change, i currently only have one hose connected to the reservoir though, just the bottom nipple to the radiator is that correct?

So anyways, i needed to get back to school where i have it parked at i was just borrowing my friends yard about 3 miles away, and i let it cool off before i started the trip back. Topped it off before leaving, then tried to maintain moving, to keep air to the engine maybe cool it off but about a mile and a half in the bike started boiling coolant and spilling again.

So... should i bring it to a shop and do a pressure check and compression check and pray its cooling system only, and not a headgasket, no smoke or anything coming from the exhaust.

im still new to F3's so what should i consider replacing maybe

radiator cap, waterpump, themo stat that allows coolant flow, wire the fan for sure, maybe new hoses at this point, actually go to a shop to even test my radiator.

new gaskets for any parts? Ofcourse any advice would be great.

Old 09-22-2016, 03:17 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Check your radiator cap and see if it can hold pressure. It's a standard automotive cap, so you should be able to get it tested and replace it if it's found to be bad.

If that checks out well enough, I would have it tested for a blown headgasket next.

If that leak is coming from anywhere else but the cap, it's going to have to be traced and repaired.

Old 09-22-2016, 05:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diagnosis

Originally Posted by 74demon
Check your radiator cap and see if it can hold pressure. It's a standard automotive cap, so you should be able to get it tested and replace it if it's found to be bad.

If that checks out well enough, I would have it tested for a blown headgasket next.

If that leak is coming from anywhere else but the cap, it's going to have to be traced and repaired.
Alright would you recommend just bringing it to the shop have it all tested, if it's a blown gasket is it worth repairing ? Wouldn't it be about a 400+ repair. You don't think it could be something like water pump seized ? Etc what are things to look for I guess.

Old 09-22-2016, 06:15 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

If you don't have the means to do the testing, then take it to the shop.

A headgasket is not a cheap repair. Whether or not it's worth it is up to you. But don't get ahead of yourself. Figure out what's wrong first. Start with testing, or replacing the radiator cap. Cheap and easy. Hell, the one from your car may fit for testing purposes. That all depends on what you drive....