CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

broken masterlink clip

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 05:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default broken masterlink clip

I just had a new KMC chain with the clip-type masterlink put on about two weeks ago. When changing the oil saturday I noticed the open end of the clip had sheared off. I kinda suspect the guy who installed it didnt really know what he was doing, considering my rear axle bolt wasn't much more than hand tight. I didnt want to have to order a new chain yet, can I replace just the clip? If the whole masterlink needs to be replaced does it have to be a KMC masterlink?
I'll be replacing the chain in a few weeks with a rivet type, when I change the sprockets. Who has the best prices on chains and a chain tool kit?

Old 06-08-2009, 05:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

clip links are for dirt bikes. Go buy you a rivet type master link n never worry about that crap again.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:48 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry that you're having chain problems but I love that it happened. Why? Cause we get this question a lot. People don't want to spend $50 to do it right and there's always 2 outta the bunch harping on how "I got a buddy that uses clip links for 179 years with no problems ever."

So do yourself a favor and either pay someone to put a rivet masterlink on there or buy the tool and do it yourself. If the chain were to come apart at speed you are gonna have a bad day. Best case scenario the chain spits out the back and you're walking. Worst case (and more likely) it whips out and cracks the engine case and you spew oil and aluminum bits all over the road.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by chainstretcher
Sorry that you're having chain problems but I love that it happened. Why? Cause we get this question a lot. People don't want to spend $50 to do it right and there's always 2 outta the bunch harping on how "I got a buddy that uses clip links for 179 years with no problems ever."

So do yourself a favor and either pay someone to put a rivet masterlink on there or buy the tool and do it yourself. If the chain were to come apart at speed you are gonna have a bad day. Best case scenario the chain spits out the back and you're walking. Worst case (and more likely) it whips out and cracks the engine case and you spew oil and aluminum bits all over the road.
you forgot takes you foot off or almost lol

Old 06-08-2009, 06:54 PM

best prices on the rivet tool will prolly be on ebay for around $25. A new chain will run you about $100, sprockets another $40 - 70. Best way to get chain and sprockets is in a set and they can be had for $140+.

The master link doesnt have to be the same brand, but diff brands use diff dia of pins on their chains. Trying to find what ones use the same dia might be a pita

Old 06-09-2009, 09:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i recently had an ebay clip style master link break on me doing about 40. i was getting ready to shift into third gear just cruising along. I now am a proud owner of a d.i.d professional with a rivet style master link. never again will i use the clip.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by oldschoolsdime92
i recently had an ebay clip style master link break on me doing about 40. i was getting ready to shift into third gear just cruising along. I now am a proud owner of a d.i.d professional with a rivet style master link. never again will i use the clip.
yup, clip style links are for dirt bikes, hell the local yami shop (bought the extra links n master link I needed on a Sat from em I needed for my sa swap) really tried to discourage me from using a 520 on my F4 even lol.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:50 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't get me started on 520's ... remember the pissing contest over how the 520's were as strong as a 530 I ran RKs best gold 520 on a 1kRR and had more stretch than was comfortable to me. Still, if you were gonna do trackdays the unsprung weight savings and spin up time were great ...