CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Brake light wiring help PLZZZ!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 03:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Brake light wiring help PLZZZ!

Hey guys I'm new here and I have learned a lot about my bike from this forum but I have a few questions about an issue I'm having.

So I bought my first bike last week it's a 1996 cbr 600 f3 that I bought from a friend for $600 with wiring issues. He said it had fried some of the wires on the old wiring harness so he bought a new one and was in the process of wiring it all up but just didn't have the time to finish it. I bought it from him brought it home and a few friends and I messed with it got it to run, we got the headlights working, the gauges(for the most part working, it has f4i gauges and everything works but the speedo still trying to figure that out :x) anyways, my issue I'm facing right now is my brake lights. My running lights and everything work fine but my brake lights do not come on when you hit either switch. The colors of wires coming out of the tail lights are green, brown, and green with a yellow stripe and none of the wires to the back of the bike have green with a yellow stripe.
Name:  ibo3Dtd.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  8.9 KB
After tinkering with it a little more I realized that the plug that the fuel cut off relay is plugged into has green, brown, and green with a yellow stripe wires going into it.
Name:  dYDNZQF.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  11.0 KB
That got me wondering, so I unplugged the relay hooked the brown and green wires up like normal and plugged the green/yellow wire into the relay plug to the green/yellow wire in it pulled brakes and my brake light worked fine. Every wiring diagram I looked at had the fuel cut off relay but the colors on the diagram are completely different from the wires on my bike. I could cut the green/yellow wire and hook up my brake lights but then the relay wouldn't work anymore and I'm sure I don't want that.

I'm just wondering what you guys think I should do? I mean I have to have brake lights but I also don't want to have my bike cutting out at higher speeds.

Old 03-19-2014, 03:59 AM

Ok, so I decided to dig on the internet some more and I found a picture of someones wiring to their tail lights. I would assume that the relay doesn't even go there? I'm not sure why whoever put it there did? lol

Old 03-19-2014, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Kneedz
Ok, so I decided to dig on the internet some more and I found a picture of someones wiring to their tail lights. I would assume that the relay doesn't even go there? I'm not sure why whoever put it there did? lol
the fuel cut off relay should be on the side of the bike in front of the ICM (Ignition Control Module). there should be a square rubber suspension (36101-MB1-000) attached to the frame there.

looks to me like someone is trying to use it as a turn signal relay. because those are not even the right wires to go to you fuel cut off relay