CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Bike Dies When Put In Gear??

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 02:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Bike Dies When Put In Gear??

I bought a 96 f3 that had the engine rebuilt and a new paint job done and the bike was dropped out of a truck on the way home from the paint shop and the front forks and headlight an fairing were destroyed.
The bike will still start and run and I have ordered a pair of forks which I was told was the only thing preventing it from driving (still waiting on them in the mail).

Anyways I wanted to see if the bike would still shift through it's gears, so I put it up on a block and put the kickstand UP because I've heard of the sensor running down there. But when you put the bike in gear and let the clutch out it just dies.

I've never worked on bikes before, just rode them so I don't know where to start with this one.

Could it have anything to do with the speedometer being unplugged or the rest of the electrical on the front end being unplugged or does this sound mechanical?

Thanks for the help!

Old 06-25-2012, 10:10 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd say more likely clutch related - sometimes when a bike's been standing for a while the clutch will "bind" a bit - it's probably worse because you have it on stands.
I'd also check the sensor switch on the side stand to make sure it wasn't damaged in the accident.
When you have the new forks in and she's mobile, I'd give the bike a "rolling start" when in gear and see if the clutch disengages properly with use.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:25 AM

Sounds like something electrical to me - specifically in the side stand safety switch.
Just because the kickstand is up, does not mean that the safety switch itself is working properly.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:02 AM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Electrical is all related...even if you have the kickstand up, the kick stand sensor is connect to the speedo/CPU telling the bike to shut off when in gear/kickstand down. Any disconnection may leave your CPU thinking kickstand down, when in fact you have it up...same goes for you neutral switch, when bike in neutral, you can start it when kick stand down without holding clutch.

It sounds 90% electrical

Old 06-26-2012, 03:21 AM

ok thanks for the help guys, when i get the forks this thursday ill go try out the electrical issues with the bike and if i have to, even try to bypass the kickstand switch and see where that leaves me. Ill follow up with new info than.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:38 PM

Ok new info on the bike.
Got the new forks in and hooked up the speedo/headlight plugs and the headlight works fine, rpm gauge works fine ( dont know about the speedo).
Bike starts and runs/revs fine.
Put it in gear and let out of the clutch and had it fully released on the handle and nothing happens.
Every now and then when you step on the gearshifter in 1st the bike dies and the oil light comes on.
Checked the oil it was about half level so I filled it up and same thing happens with dying and the oil light.
So could this still be the kickstand switch not allowing the bike to move in gear or is this just straight clutch problems? I want to be able to start eliminating things such as the kickstand sensor if possible.
Also idk if this is useful info or not but the gear shifter will not come up into 2nd -6th gear . 1st and neutral is all that it will go in.
Any help/ process of elimination / or checklist to run through would be awesome! Thanks again

Old 07-05-2012, 09:16 PM

are you sure it is going into first and not just the light turning off? The bike should jump a little bit. if your shift lever adjustment is out maybe you are getting between gears? I know there is a spot because sometimes going into 5th or 6th My bike just free revs and then bangs into gear. I would unhook the shifter and manually twist the lever into first. If it doesn't go in, your clutch may be out. Another thing you can try is with the engine off pull the clutch and try to get in 1st. You'll want to move the bike a little bit so the gears actually engage. If you let off the clutch the bike should no longer roll

Old 07-05-2012, 09:16 PM

Also make sure the bike is level when you check the oil. The P.O. of mine filled it while on the kickstand, 4 quarts overfull!