CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Bike died, gas problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008 | 06:29 PM
|
Default Bike died, gas problem?

Tonight my bike died on me and would only run with full choke. I have no clue what it could be, but noticed it bogs down at low rpm unless I give it a lot of gas.
I have checked the batt and the rectifier was recently replaced, which leads me to believe it is something with the fuel. The jets were cleaned and rebuilt at the beginning of the summer by the guy who sold the bike to me, and last month ran some seafoam through the tank.
So I am confused and could use any help I can get!
Any suggestions for me to try?

Old 09-17-2008 | 07:55 PM
Default RE: Bike died, gas problem?

When you say full choke do you mean that when you take the choke off it dies? Is this at idle or while riding? As long as you bike starts up im sure its not the R/R. I assume something is wrong with your carbs, maybe a main jet is clogged.

Old 09-17-2008 | 08:00 PM
|

No, I mean that when the bike dies the only way to get it started is use full choke, then I have to keep the revs up while turning off the choke
how do I unclog the jets? Will seafoam in the gas work?

Old 09-17-2008 | 08:21 PM

Seafoam can only do so much. If it doesn't solve your problem you're gonna have to take out the carbs and clean them.

The "choke" are our bike is different per say like a regular engine. The choke usually closes a portion of the carb off so it draws in less air and more fuel to get it started. Out bikes however just let more fuel flow through
(correct me if i am wrong, read that on here somewhere)

Old 09-17-2008 | 08:53 PM

No the choke actually changes the air to fuel ratio (Richer mix). If your bike is stalling after it warmed up & you have to run it with the choke on, means that you need to have a carbie adjustment done. Lot of things can cause a leaner mix to happen, air filter, change of pipe & yes crap in carbie. On the fuel injected bikes, the choke really only acts as to raise the RPM from the initial start/warm up.

Old 09-17-2008 | 09:28 PM

crap in carbs from bad gas most likely

Old 09-18-2008 | 11:46 AM
|

Well I know that the bike has a K&N air filter, and vance & hines slipon. And know that the carbs haven't been adjusted since those were installed, but they have been on for a while.

If I need a carb adjustment would it be a good idea just to get it jetted?
Also I haven't had to clean carbs or adjust them before, how hard of a job is it (I'm not afraid of getting dirty) or should I just find a shop and have them do it?

Old 09-18-2008 | 01:05 PM

i just cleaned mine myself for the first time and rebuilt them when i was in there because some of the slow jets were broken and it needed new gaskets.

it was challenging and i labeled ever screw and bolt i took off the bike in a plastic sandwich bag.. i wouldnt have been able to do it if i hadnt labeled every nut and bolt, its just to overwhelming to remember where they all go.

i have the genuine honda manual, i would NOT try to do this without a manual if its your first time, the vacuum system is hard to remember how to put back together and the direct air intake is hard to figure out how to get off.