CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Bad Petcock or Fuel Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 11:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Petcock or Fuel Pump?

Hello all, new here to CBRForums. I got a 1995 F3 and its leaking gas. I thought it was loose claps so i changed all of them out from the tank to the fuel pump. it stopped leaking for 2 days but the leak came back on the 3rd day. check the hose from the tank going to the fuel pump and its dry. all the fuel seems to build up and drip from the fuel pump. so i turned the shut off value to the center to kill the fuel and the leak is still there. keeps dripping from the fuel pump, hose is dry from the tank to the fuel pump also. so i need a little help figuring out whats bad on the bike. is it the Petcock/shut off value or my fuel pump? Thanks

Old 03-31-2012, 06:08 AM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is the tank building up pressure when it sits? If you open the gas-cap does it 'pop'?

In some cases the tank vent is blocked and builds up pressure, forcing gasoline out in
odd ways. Other-wise, it sounds like a leaking seal in the fual-pump.

The above is just a guesstimate, though. I haven't experienced any actual failures,
such as you are describing.

Hope this helps, Ern

Old 03-31-2012, 07:08 AM

Nope. No pop at all when I open the gas tank. I kind of hope it isn't the fuel pump. That thing is like 150 to order.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:48 PM
Egypt Junior Member

duuuuuuddddeeeee!!! holddd yourrr horsesssssssss!!!!

why don't ya go gravity! i've been on gravity feed for like what?... 3 months now?! and everything is great!......
you see, even if you had no leaks....someday that fuel pump will die on you, and god knows where you'd be by then! could be stranded in the middle of the desert! :s .... something you don't need.......

but you're a fuel pump addict .... i would just recommend removing the fuel pump jussssttt to test if you're fuel pump is really the problem or not...

how to go gravity feed without using the fuel pump!? thats easy! =

1. look with your eyes and you'll see 2 hoses coming out from the pump....one is "in" which means fuel is being pumped inside andddd one is "out" which means the fuel repels and pumps outside to the carbs.

2. now that you looked and understood what these 2 hoses do.... i'll tell you which one is "in" and which one is "out"
*the "in" one is the hose that it connects to the tank (think about it, thats where is gets it's gas! .... get it? (gas goes "in")
*the "out" one is the hose that is connected to the carbs (think again!, thats where the gas is goinggg!.. get it? lol....(gas goes "out")

3! and final step .... take away the whollllle "in" hose.... alll of it! from the pump and from the tank.... then... remove only the "out" hose thats connected to the pump and insteaddddd stick it the tank tube that the "in" hose was in instead...

so now you have the tank directly pushing its fuel down to the carbs!... and offcourse you'll need to remove the whole fuel pump including its little black wire plug thang....

if you're wondering if gravity feed is strong.... is 100mph strong enough? hehehe..... how about 10rpm? p.s!! thats on low fuel hehehe so gravity presure is at its worst!
but if you have a full tank!, enjoy the ride like any other day with a fuel pump

one more thang!, keep the pet **** on reserve.. so you can get the gravity feed at it's best!

Old 04-05-2012, 12:17 AM

Thats what i am going to do for now. I don't got 150 bucks to spend on a fuel pump at the moment. thanks.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:37 AM

You don't need 150 on a fuel pump.

https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f3...l-pump-116515/

I bought aftermarket one for 45$ shipped

AIRTEX E8316 Electric Fuel Pump | eBay

Last edited by siberiancbr; 04-05-2012 at 01:51 AM.