CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

98 cbr f3i grinding in 1st and second

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 10:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 98 cbr f3i grinding in 1st and second

Ok so I'm a new bike owner, this is my first bike and I love riding!!
So while in first if u shift up in low Rpms it goes in fine , but in high Rpms u get a grinding noise, like 2 gears coming together obviously, even when on neutral and try to go down or up in ugh Rpms it does the same, this is obviously my trans? Any suggestions, please help!! It's getting nice out!!

Old 03-20-2011, 12:12 AM

first, not trying to be a dick, but its not an F3i, that i means fuel injected and none of the F3's are. sorry, but that was bugging the **** out of me, now that im off my soap box, let me attempt to help you. what you are hearing could be a few things. first, the 1-2 transition is a little bit tougher than any other gear because you have to clear neutral before it goes into gear. so, there is a possibility that you are not shifting firly enough. second, you could have a worn clutch or mis-adjusted/worn clutch cable, which would be more apparent in low gear because of the reasons that i gave before. you can actually shift without clutch in the higher gears at higher RPMs. the third thing that i would investigate would be the 1-2 gear dogs or shift forks. you can tell that the gears are truly worn by performing a simple test (this is not a tell all, but rather a good test to do) run through first gear like you are trying to get to second as fast a possible and then right before red line shift, and immediately pin it again. during a shift, sometimes a bad transmission will pop back out of gear if the dogs are worn. like i said before, if this doesnt happen, it doesnt mean that you dont have a bad gear box, but it is a good indicator if it does happen. to be honest with you, from what you are telling us about it doing it in up and down shifts it sounds more like a clutch/clutch cable issue to me. i would recommend that you find an experienced rider and have them test ride your bike. most riders can tell the difference between a good or bad gearbox, or clutch by riding it. or they may tell you that you need to be a little more firm with your shifts, because if it is you, you could over time damage a perfectly good gearbox by not riding it properly. i hope this helps. if you have any more questions, let us know.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:14 AM

wow, sorry i just realized how horribly put together and badly punctuated that last post was. sorry if you have trouble understanding it...

Old 03-20-2011, 02:24 AM

Hm so it's just an f3? Alright learning new stuff already haha thank you, and I'm gunna check clutch, I'll get back to you thanks

Old 03-20-2011, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

I too would probably go with the clutch lever/cable adjustment. The transmissions in motorcycles are fully meshed. That means that all gears teeth are always engaged with each other. Unlike a car where you can grind the gears because you're actually moving the gears together. The only grinding noises you're going to get is from

wow, sorry i just realized how horribly put together and badly punctuated that last post was. sorry if you have trouble understanding it...
Jeason15, you can always go back in and edit your post.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:53 AM

Ok the gears alwaays together sounds right. So about the adjustments up on handle bar clutch adjustment it's all the way adjusted won't tighten anymore, I was told this might be an indicator that it's time for a new clutch, does
Such up with my problem at all?

Old 03-21-2011, 10:29 AM

More likely time for a new clutch cable rather than a clutch, over time they do tend to stretch a little.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:26 AM

Ok andjust some more info, t doesn't really so it if u shift hard, but u can still hear it's not a smooth shift, well so in not going out buying all this stiff trying to figure it out, what is a good way to test these theories

Old 03-22-2011, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

I think the someone here already recommended this. I'd have an experienced rider (that you trust) take it for a ride and tell you what they think of how it's shifting. Seeing that you're new, it's really difficult to identify what's normal and what's abby-normal (for all you Mel Brooks fans).

Old 03-23-2011, 12:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2nd gear on mine has always been a bit temperamental. Sometimes the transition from 1st to 2nd ( & vice versa) can be smooth & other times its a bugger. Even so, revving the crap out of your bike & throwing it into 1st (or going down from 2nd to 1st) 9 times out of 10 your going to get a crunch from the gear box.
Go with the advice above, but another thing to consider are the oil, age/type/temp