CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Honda Smokin Joe 1998 stalling out!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 01:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Smokin Joe 1998 stalling out!!

Hey guys,

Just joined and bought a 98 Smokin Joe CBR 600 F3. My question is when im riding for about 30-50 min when I come to a stop or even sometimes on the highway it dies out for no reason. All my friends told me to change the fuel pump cuz it was over heating itself. Which Im gonna do that when i get home today and see if that's the issue.
But if anyone has had this problem could you please let me know so i dont go spending money on useless stuff when it could be a small/minor problem?

Thank you guys!!

Old 10-10-2012, 07:24 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check the r/r. If it's starting to fail, it can cause shut-downs when it gets hot.
If the bike cools for about 10 minutes, does it start right up again?

It's under the right-hand rear cover. Scope it out, looking for signs of heat damage.
cracked/bubbly epoxy-fill. Is the connector burnt looking or warped/melted?

Rather than throw money/parts at the problem, start running some diagnostics.
Poor performance is usually carbs, sudden shut-downs tend to be electrical in nature.
Fuel pumps/relays can fail, but not as frequently as the electrical/charging system.
That's why I would suggest exploring there first.

Check these links. If it is electrical, they will get you headed in the right direction.

Charging System Diagnostics - Rectifier/Regulator Upgrade - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums

Technical Resources - Resources for Electrical Systems on Motorcycles and ATVs - ElectroSport

Most of the cost here is labor. While you're doing an over-all diagnostic run on the
bike, clean and pack all of the various connectors with di-electric grease.
That helps prevent corrosion, thereby ensuring good connections.

Hope this helps, Ern

Old 10-14-2012, 05:05 PM

Thanks I really appreciate it!!! Was riding fine for a week when i changed the pump and now its starting to die out on the highway and stuff. When the gas is Low about .05-1 gallons it dies, but when i fill it up all the way the bike runs fine. What could this be?

Old 10-15-2012, 06:45 AM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check that the petcock fuel filter (inside the tank) isn't partially clogged with sediment,
restricting that last bit of fuel from being used.

Pull the tank. Drain it completely and then remove the petcock valve.
It will have a fine-mesh screen surrounding the inlet-pipe(s).
Carefully clean any debris/goo and re-install.

While you have the tank pulled, pour about a quart of kerosene,
(not gas, the vapors ignites too easily) in and swish it around and drain it back out.
This will help clear any sediment that has built up inside the tank, as well.

Also, check that your vent and fuel-cap drain lines are clear/not clogged.
You can use compressed air to check them, but leave the gas cap open when you do!
Other-wise you risk 'balloning' the tank.

Hope this helps, Ern

Old 10-15-2012, 07:47 AM

Ok, for sure!!!! Thanks alot for the help with this. Just want to get my bike riding again lol. I will keep you updated on the bike and let you know whats up. When I get home I will do all of that as well.
Keep you posted

Old 10-16-2012, 09:01 AM

yeah i cleaned out everything like you said and use kerosene to flush the tank. Screens weren't really that dirty no gunk build up or anything. Lines were all clean, carb wasn't that dirty but cleaned it as well. Took us about 2-3 hours to do everything and put back together, went riding around town for about 50 min and when i was headed back home thinking everything was great, it starts to stall out right on the highway. There i was again, side of the highway would turn over but once i gave it some gas it shut down. So I'm kinda lost for words right now on what this issue is and I've been reading alot of forums about this and it sounds electrical but its hard to find it when everything is putting out the right amount of Volts. Any ideas lol? Cuz I'm seriously thinking of giving this bike back to my friend, and say "Keep It"

Old 07-03-2018, 10:33 PM

I know this post is old as **** but I was just wondering if you can remember if you ended up resolving this issue? I have the same bike same to you. And it's doing the exact same thing. I have brand new car rebuild, new regulator rectifier, fuel cutoff relay, brand new fuel pump gone through two in the last month. They keep getting super hot and the bike dies. I know it's electrical for sure. But don't know where to start