CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

98 CBR F3 mods?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 06:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The main difference between an O-ring and X-ring is when you cut the ring one has a cross section in the shape of an O and the other is X. Word has it that the X has two sealing surfaces instead of one. Maybe this results in less friction as it goes around the sprockets, but.... who cares. X-ring is more expensive and that to me disqualifies it!

You can only buy one size of link unless you stunt a HUGE sprocket. You are going to need a chain-link tool to cut or break the chain to the length you will need.

I bet money there is a thread about it here, or a fan-freaking-tastic youtube video of the whole process.

Go hang out at the local drag track or race track on a track or race day, you will find yourself a gear head or two. It's usually free or very cheap to get into these events. I have never been able to find someone at a track that wasn't willing to give anyone their 2 cents.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:35 AM

Morgan if you post what city and/or state may get a local guy to speak up.

My F3 is a race/track bike only. My first year I was using the stock size chain. I had to change out my chain at the track one day. I did have a spare 525 chain with me but forgot to bring the master link. All the venders and other racers couldn't help me. Everything the venders had was for 520 chains and thats what everyone else was running.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:03 AM

I'm a big fan of the DID X ring chains. I had one on a 250cc MX bike for over 3 years and it only stretched for the initial "bedding" in, if you could call it that. I actually stopped lubing it because I couldn't handle changing gearing when the Xring and supersprox sprockets were still good. I basically tried to wreck them but gave up (didn't ride in mud or sand much though) and changed to different gearing anyway. I have my own MX track on 5 acres so it was getting a decent workout as well. Oh, and I know the MX bike isn't putting out the same hp but it was still a 520 that everyone here is recommending to change to. And I totally agree with the stock filter thing. Don't waste your cash. Like Kjohnson said, Jetting! After that, start with suspension, get the right brake pads and stock gearing to me seems fine (I have an F3 with +1 on the rear though) but change it if you want.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by lepy

Go hang out at the local drag track or race track on a track or race day, you will find yourself a gear head or two. It's usually free or very cheap to get into these events. I have never been able to find someone at a track that wasn't willing to give anyone their 2 cents.

Young racers you can't shut up, old salt racers you cant get talking. Get one to make fun of you and your on your way.

Doing a trackday is a great way to meet some people who know what they are doing. The real talent come is sorting you the ones who have no idea what they are doing but want to advise you anyways.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:19 PM

im from athens, ohio. im not looking to race this bike (just yet). Im just looking to add some acceleration right now and make this bike "mine". Im currently adding a new paint job, replacing alot of stock parts and adding an alarm system on it so it doesnt all go to waste. But where i really dont know much about bikes would be in the mechanics side. all this advice you guys are giving is awesome. Im new to this area(down here for college) and i havent met anyone that rides like i do (everyday all day). So most people just tell me to go to a bike shop and ask them but the shops get annoyed pretty easily apparently. And sorry for the possibly stupid question but how much just jetting help and what is it exactly?

Thank you all for your patience.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:40 PM

Bump

Old 01-29-2011, 03:59 AM

changing the stock jets in the carbs will allow more fuel to enter, jet kits are around $100 i believe. if you search you will find the stock jetting for the bike. i cant remmeber off the top of my head. alot of guys on here run a exhaust, K&N filter(not sure if it helps) a jet kit, and sprockets.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:40 PM

morgan, I think for direct cbr F3 question, you came to the right place. If you want someone hands on in your area, and it sounds like you just want to know bikes in general.

I am addicted to setting up rides through my local area forum site. PNWRiders.com or pacific north west riders. This type of site has introduced me to everyone and everything I know today about motorcycles.

I did a quick google search for your state and came up with a site.

http://www.rideohio.org/

sign up, ask questions and get to know some people. local area's usually have a maint. meet up for beginning folks that want to know more about their machine.

Old 01-30-2011, 02:26 PM

thanks alot man, i'll definitely check out the site and see what i can get involved in, thanks =) ans as far as billetproof goes, i'll look into getting a kit for my bike, where would they sell them?