CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

98 cbr 600 f3 transmission troubleshoot

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 03:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 98 cbr 600 f3 transmission troubleshoot

He'll there I'm a new to the cbr world, just picked up a in need of TLC f3 (a little rhyme for ya) the main concern is when I get on it real hard I feel a jerking like a slipping gear in all gears but when I'm just putting around its smooth as butta, also when I'm in neutral and stopped it sounds chattery unless I pull in the clutch lever and then It goes quiet... could use advise on solutions I'm going crazy not being able to "get on it"!!!

Old 03-25-2014, 03:23 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First of all welcome to the forum!

The first thing that comes to my mind is also the easiest to check and cheapest to repair.

Chain & sprockets. A worn front sprocket and a stretched chain will do just that, specially when it's there in all gears on hard acceleration. If you don't know for sure they've been replaced recently that'd be the first thing to look for IMO. Only after that I'd take a look at the tranny but I have a suspicion it's not that.

The "rumbling" sound from the clutch on neutral is not a fault, it's a feature All older CBR's, or so I'm told, do that. Including my F2 which to my understanding has the same engine as the f3.

Just so I can say I told you so chain and sprocket is a very, very wrong place to cheap out on, I've read countless stories about snapped chains braking the engine case and worse still, slicing your leg while doing it. Buy a known brand good quality chain rated for the bike, no cheapo 520's. It stings then but well maintained will last for a long time.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

G'day and welcome to the forum,
When you say "get on it", what rev range would that be?
Agree with Mattson (who I hope voted for my bike) that the chain and sprocket could be the issue. My f2 also has that Grindy rough sound too when idling in neutral. Also 1st and 2nd can be a bit clunky on the change if giving it juice. Both factory to the bike. F3 is the same.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:25 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015

Kiwi, have now, was a bit indecisive between U and FOG, and waited for someone to ask and forgot the whole thread...

Old 03-26-2014, 02:54 AM

I appreciate the relies, it's no specific rpm just the amount of power, I can rev all the way to red and it doesn't affect anything until I start to do some hard acceleration. I'm working on doing a minor restore to the bike just received new fairings in the mail it's going to be gorgeous, black and white color scheme

Old 03-26-2014, 05:29 AM

you my friend have a worn clutch or worn clutch bearings or both

if you dont use the bike every day buy a haynes manual and a vernier guage take the clutch apart and measure the tolerances guarantee something will be a miss

i have 3 pc25 motors, 2 from 1997 and 1 from 1999 (hornet)

the hornet clutch is out of tolerance and rattles the 1997 clutch is new and doesnt.

chain and sprockets will only produce rattle when rolling, if it rattles in neutral it cant be chain and sprockets although i would change them and recommend afam or tsubaki the best a bike can get i personaly run an afam 120 hyper heavy duty on my race bike as well as afam sprockets

the reason you are only noticing it higher up is because the clutch is slipping when put under heavy load

also the ebc clutches are awful dont waste your money barnett clutch springs are heavier for a little bit more but i wouldnt use their steels or corks

Old 03-26-2014, 08:01 AM

Sounds to me like the chain jumping a tooth, if it was the clutch you would expect it to redline at wot, not jerk. I think we need more info.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:53 PM

It feels like a chain problem more then a clutch and when I focus on where the sound is coming from it seems like it's coming from the back not from the transmission, wouldn't a clutch going out feel just like a car clutch, like a slipping loss of power? I asked a buddy at work that knows about bikes to look at it and he says my chain is super loose

Old 03-26-2014, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Spencer John
he says my chain is super loose
Well, that alone explains pretty much the whole situation, but given that you said the bike is in need of other TLC too I`ll bet the PO hasn`t invested any money to the chain and sprockets if he/she has planned to sell it anyway, so I`d assume it`d be safe to assume they are due for change...

Old 03-27-2014, 12:55 AM

And if your not sure post up a pic, these guys will be able to tell you pretty quickly if it's your chain.