CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

96 valve adjustment PLZ HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 11:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 valve adjustment PLZ HELP!!!!

i have a 96f3 and its been making a clicking sound in the engine that sounds like a couple valves just hitting the manifold... so im thinking about doing a valve adjustment. am i on the right path? has anyone done a valve adjustment themself? does anyone have any horror stories or happy ending stories? what parts or special tools will i need for this? what else should i check while im in there??? i want to get this taken care of asap. i want to be 100% for the summer time. plz plz plz help me! any advice will be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance
-Joseph

Old 02-20-2009, 08:47 PM

Hmmmm, yes I have done many and don't worry I doubt the valves are hitting the manafold but you never know.

I guess first things first.

Did you over rev the motor and then the ticking started ?

Does the engine tick when first started or does it only tick when the bike is warmed up ?

Is it a loud single tick or can you tell if it's multiple ticks.

Here is the problem, to adjust the valves on the F3 it is more of a time labor job than anything else because half of bike needs to come off to get the valve cover off.

And then your limited on space and a standard 10mm valve tool might not work in such tight spaces.

If you take it to the shop have it tore down far enough to where the mechanic only has to pull the valve cover off, adjust the valves and put the cover back on and you will save big money this way.

If it's a DIY job then buy the Clymer or Chiltons manual first and read the chapter on valve adjustment because you can't just tighten loose tappets and think your good to go...

IMO if you have not done a multi cylinder valve adjustment before make an appointment, stip it down and drop it off.

SIRR1

Old 02-21-2009, 12:00 AM

Do some research on the forums about the CCT (cam chain tensioner) which is infamous for causing a ticking/rattling noise.

Old 02-21-2009, 01:50 PM

i have never just sat there and revd the bike to 12-14k. i have been riding and got it up above 10k though.

it doesnt tick right from the startup, but after it idols for a sec it will start to tick.

to me it sounds like it might be one or two valves...

the biggest job i have done on my bike its put the front tires on and take them off and replace the brake lever. am i getting in over my head with the valve job?

my bike has 33k miles on it, if that makes a difference.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:26 PM

you are in over your head if you thought the 2 things you did were hard. if so, dont dick with your valves

Old 02-22-2009, 12:36 AM

Sounds like the CCT, sounds about the same as what mine was doing. They're not too bad as far as cost to replace (stock is $69) and I've seen a lot of them going out. If that doesn't fix it, I'd take it to a shop, I tore mine to the block and redid the valve shims, four words.... pain in the butt! I had the engine out (redoing the frame), had a box of shims I borrowed from one of our techs and it took about three hours... It may cost more, but its worth avoiding the hassle.

Old 02-22-2009, 02:33 AM

You're in over your head.

If you're anywhere near NH I can help you.....if not, make friends with people that have done this type of service in the past and can prove it. Last thing you want is for your buddy to grenade your motor for you.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:09 AM

well it looks like im going to read a couple chapters in my manual and see where that goes, but ill probably just take sirr1's advice and just strip it and take it to a shop

Old 02-22-2009, 12:08 PM
Default Valve Job

Hey Joe,

The reason I asked if the bike knocks when cold is oil viscosity, expansion and contraction come into play and you won't here things on a cold motor vs warm.

It's is a good way to diagnose minor and major motor noises.

BTW sorry about asking if you over revved the bike but I had to ask...

OK so now we has that cleared up here is what I would do.

During normal business hours swing by your local bike mechanic or Honda shop and ask the mechanic to take a quick look see.

And be prepared to wait awhile and let them know your willing to wait.

Most likely any good Honda tech can listen to the bike run blip the throttle a few times and give you a idea what the problem is.

If he says it's needs a valve adjustment then let him know your willing to bring the bike up stripped to save on labor.

I good Honda tech will understand and tell you what he wants off the bike.

Now if he says he thinks it's needs a valve adjustment but can't be sure thats not a bad thing!

The miles on your ride warrents an adjustment as part of it's regular service and this proceedure would make the bike start and run better so thats a good thing!

My best guess on the labor costs if you bring the bike in stripped down would be a 2 hour job @ $70.00 per hour and your looking at $140 plus $30.00 for a new gasket and thats if none of your valve parts are trashed your then looking at around a $200.00 service bill just to adjust the valves.

The Honda tech should be able to determine if the CCT is causing the noise or it's a valve out of adjustment.

Just don't wait to long to get this job in the shop because your starting to get into riding season.

Some Honda shops don't do non-warrenty engine work during the spring and summer due to the volume of quick service jobs they perform this time of the year and this is where the the shop makes their money and they don't want to be tied down with an older bike in their shop.

I hope this helps!

SIRR1

BTW if the mechanis says it's the CCT you can DIY this project in your garage, thank him for his time and ask if there is a charge, if there is no charge stop by the parts dept and pick up a new CCT and gasket.

If he charges you for the service check then buy your CCT online or at another shop.

It's an easy repair just a tough item to get to and the right side body panels need to come off the bike in order to get to the CCT.

Once the new CCT is installed the CCT auto adjusts itself once the plastic keeper thing is removed so it's an easy fix just as long as the CCT chain is within service limits.

SIRR1

Old 02-26-2009, 06:17 PM

SIRR1,
that was alot of helpful information. thanks for basically walking me through the steps. i greatly appreciate it and cant thank you enough. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Quick Reply: 96 valve adjustment PLZ HELP!!!!