CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Winter Paint Project

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 11:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Paint Project

Just picked up a '94 f4 with 16.5k, only downfall is the purple/yellow paint. I'm thinking this winter I wanna strip everything down and do a flat black. Just had a few questions as to how I go about stripping everything, how much stripping I actually have to do, and so on. Also curious if you can still put vinyls on a flat paint job. I'd like to put some factory decals on when i finish the paint. I'm also looking to put on a slip-on so any suggestions there would be awesome too. Would like to do a few cosmetic things as well; smoked windscreen, vinyls, bar ends, grips, possibly frame sliders?? I know this is a pretty ambitious project for the winter, but I'm excited. I'll be putting up some pics of her as is before I get started. Anyone willing to give me their two cents, it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks much!

Old 11-06-2008, 11:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Winter Paint Project

How is the original paint?

Old 11-06-2008, 11:46 PM

depending on how it looks like now, it might be more practical for you to sell your plastics and everything for a set that looks a little crappier. Use those instead, just a thought.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:55 PM

Or just keep the original paint... I have tried to figure out a scheme that looks good for the older CBR's and nothing looks better than stock IMO.

The massive amount of bodywork our bikes have need different colors and lines to break it all up, and aside from the funky colors they used back in the 90's I think they did a good job with the decals for what they had to work with.

BUT that's just my opinion.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Flat black is just way too over done at this point...and that's what many guys do after laying their bike down...Street fighter and flat black! BLAH!

IMHO!
RB

Old 11-07-2008, 10:02 AM

I second the above sentiments. i think that the three best color schemes for motorcycles, all makes and models are right here in this thread. My bike, which is just like Hershey's only instead purple there's black, Hershey's, and FNQuick's. The reason I suggested what I did was because I think its a bit of a travesty to destroy the originals especially if they are in good shape. Also, flat black does look like **** and is entirely too overdone. Get a matching yellow jacket and let it grow on you.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:34 AM

thanks for the feedback... I guess I'll hold off for a while and let it sink in. now what about an exhaust??

Old 11-07-2008, 12:35 PM

HEY!

My bike is NOT purple, it's ****in blue! get it right! LOL

Old 11-07-2008, 01:27 PM

I agree... keep it stock untill your dead sure of what you want. Please don't do the flat black... way to overdone.

exhaust - Yoshi RS3 is cheap and easy to find.
Any aftermarket slipon will put a smile on your face, those stock cans SUCK especially after 15yrs

Old 11-07-2008, 02:45 PM

https://cbrforum.com/m_671885/mpage_.../tm.htm#691455

I am pretty sure I have (had) the same purple and yellow as you, im currently repainting mine, the thread is above ^^^ Personally im not a huge fan of flat black on bikes, I would rather leave flat black for cars/suvs. But its not my bike so its your call. I have a Two Brothers slip on,I have no idea what I could get for it, I have been looking for something different.

Quick Reply: Winter Paint Project