CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Very hard clutch pull!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 08:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very hard clutch pull!

Hey guys first time posting here but not my first forum. But as I get different model bikes they throw me for a loop on how to fix them. I have a 1994 cbr f2 and the clutch cable is hard to pull. So hard that any hopes of a one finger clutch pull are not to be seen by the light of day let alone a three finger. I'm not saying I'm weak it's just got me worried cause its not pintched or rusted. Its just like I have a v-8 clutch to pull with my hand help soon would be very appreciated cause its my daily rider thanks.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you try loosening the clutch cable with the screw that is built into it?

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 3349
Size:  155.0 KB

Old 03-17-2012, 03:01 AM

No due to the fact that would further stretch the cable and make my clutch not engage/disengage fully. Not saying I haven't tried I think the po must have had he man with him when he tightend the screw cause I can't even budge it with channel locks. I mean I could pull my 01 r6 clutch with my penky and it was smooth as butter but I did not mention that the po also gave me a "aftermarket clutch" new in box not sure if that was the old one and he was pulling a fast one. Noticed you live in cape coral I live in central Florida 20 north of Orlando. I bought my bike off Craigslist and it is still scaring me from stuff that I fInd wrong especially when compared to my r6 build "from scratch pics to prove it" but if you could I would be willing to ask you to drop by some time and help me I will offset your expenses ofcourse. If you would like to or over the net is cool I'm super new to the f2 model but not building and modding thanks.

Old 03-17-2012, 06:25 AM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Even if the po added heavy springs to the basket when re-building the clutch,
it shouldn't be take a manly-man to operate the clutch lever.

The most common cause of a heavy pull is lack of lubrication and/or gunk build-up
inside the cable housing. While it's possible to clean/lube the cable while on the bike,
I find it easier and less mess to simply pull it, when doing a through job, the first time.

You'll need a cable-luber, about $10 at the local bike shop. Attach it to one end of
the cable and it directs the spray into the center of the housing jacket and down the
length of the run. Start with WD-40, spray it in until you see it running out the
opposite end of the cable. push/pull on the wire-end, to work all of the dirt/gunk out
and free it up. Then switch to a cable-lube spray and hose that in until you see it
running out the other end. Push/pull to squeeze out the excess and then re-mount and
adjust the cable to allow between 1/4" to 3/8" of free-play on the handle-bar lever.

After that, every 500 miles-ish or when you start to notice the return of "manly-man",
re-visit with the cable-luber and spray. You should be able to do it in place, as regular
maintenance. Just remove the cable at the lever to mount the cable-luber and a towel
at the clutch-side to catch the excess.

Here's a link to illustrate what a cable-luber looks like. While I am a fan of the Motion
Pro tools, this particular tool is simple and easily found by a variety of manufacurers....

Motion Pro - Cable Luber

Hope this fixes your problem, Ern

Old 03-17-2012, 09:48 AM

My old steelie had a very stiff cluch lever, didnt think much of it until someone else mentioned it.

The cables are teflon coated i believe, and had heard mixed things about lubing them, so i just changed the cable, the difference was unbelievable! Never had the same problem again.

Last edited by SpongeRR; 03-17-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:42 PM

I will try both of those approaches and see what happens hopefully it just needs some lube. If not I need a new cable and or I'll re-route the cable right behind the radiator instead of under the airbox and through the woods. It actually goes under the snorkel and then turns down. Also lately since I live in Florida my bike has been really hard to start when cold. To the point where the choke engages and it sputters and then I have to ft it and hold it to get it to run but with choke and all of that revs are super low I back off the throttle just a Lil bit dies. After a while it does the same when I can get it to catch without choke but it is still hard to start. I have already had to rewire the harness and everything I did was only to do with the headlights. I think it might be the plugs or wires maybe the coils but Plz don't let it be the coils help would be appreciated fast due to rain or shine I have to ride this thing

Old 03-17-2012, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by F2fighter2f4i
I will try both of those approaches and see what happens hopefully it just needs some lube. If not I need a new cable and or I'll re-route the cable right behind the radiator instead of under the airbox and through the woods. It actually goes under the snorkel and then turns down. Also lately since I live in Florida my bike has been really hard to start when cold. To the point where the choke engages and it sputters and then I have to ft it and hold it to get it to run but with choke and all of that revs are super low I back off the throttle just a Lil bit dies. After a while it does the same when I can get it to catch without choke but it is still hard to start. I have already had to rewire the harness and everything I did was only to do with the headlights. I think it might be the plugs or wires maybe the coils but Plz don't let it be the coils help would be appreciated fast due to rain or shine I have to ride this thing
Ideally pull your carbs and do a good cleaning. Your pilot jets are probably gunked up. As a quick temporary fix you can try running a can of seafoam through it. I dump it in when I've got between a third and half tank and run it til I hit reserve then fill up. It's pretty amazing stuff but when your carbs are gunked it's really just a band aid.
Don't be to worried about you bike man. It's 20 years old so you can't really compare it to an 01 R6 but stilling the F2 is an amazingly fun and capable bike. Just do some maintenance on it and she'll treat you well.

Old 03-17-2012, 05:13 PM
Talking

Yeah I should stop comparing the two but I can compare the f2 to a 1997 cbr100f very well can I "first bike with me weighing 132 pounds". I could beat busa's for the first two miles after that they would eat me. But back to the f2 today noticed something when talking to previous owner he kept saying it was garaged and he had it for over a year and a half but upon Craigslist failure to remove old as hell post I seen it on there and the bike was in excellent condition. It had fairings he works. There was only a three month gap in time that the DMV said that the bike had been "mia" but then he got to it and it went from that bike's not 18 years old to damn Steven hawking jokes don't make it look better. And I finally found out how my gas tank was held on and omg that is scary. I will have to figure out how to post pics from my phone to here to show you but I'm still trying to figure out what this kid thought he knew. Don't buy from people under 21 from now on lol.

Old 03-17-2012, 05:19 PM

Thanks for the info mad I will buy that soon don't want a mess in the garage more than there already is as I Peace this thing together. I was wondering since it is kinda my post should I go and ask about a front fork swap or start a new thread. I would be adding a how once started. I just didn't want to mutilate my own post and not help myself in the long run for both things

Old 03-18-2012, 01:51 PM
Talking

Well got home last night and dug through the garage and found some wd40. I sprayed some in where I could and it kinda helped. I sprayed more and let sit over night and man when I got on it this afternoon to go to work I was blown away. I thought I was back on my r6 sorry you take a lot of pride in things you build especially from scratch. But I was driving in traffic with one finger to work a 45 min ride with a lot of stop go never did it get any stiffer. I know this is a band aid I'm off from now till Wednesday I will let you know when I dive deeper into the problem thanks.