CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Transmission help, please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 02:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission help, please!!!

I lowsided my bike going low speed, bent the shifter and the shifter rod. I straightened'em out no problem , but my transmission is stuck in 6th(?) gear. I try pushing/pulling on the shifter- nothing. I had to ride it how like that.
I was in 2, or 3d before the crash, I guess it got slammed all the way up to 6.
Does anyone have experience with similar problem?
I guess I have to take the transmission apart, but what should I be looking for?
Do you the problem is within internal/external shifting mechanism, or is it gears.( I hope not 'cause then it would be necessary to split the cases)

Also does anyone know where I can buy the special HOnda tool( or similar) to remove clutch? Has anyone done that?

It all sucks for me even more because I already prepaid for my track day on Sept 7 and now I have no bike,lol.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 09-01-2006, 05:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Transmission help, please!!!

That really sucks.. Could be that the transmission like you said was jammed over into 6th gear and is stuck there now. Wonder if there could be damage to the gearing? Sounds like it needs a tear-down to find the problem, sucks but it happens.

Old 09-01-2006, 06:19 PM

You're 100% the shift linkage has free movement??? I've never heard of somebody damaging a transmission to that extent from a low side. Short of hammering a shift shaft into the motor or something... sounds like major trouble if its not linkage related.

Old 09-02-2006, 12:46 PM

I did manage to shift it back to 1st by grabbing the shifter by hand and jerking it down as hard as I can. Now it would upshift no problem, but in order to downshift I would have to really slam it down, and it's still takes a few tries. Then it did get stuck in 5 or 6 again. I took off the clutch cover and I'm removing clutch now in order to get to external shifting mechanism. External and internal shifting mechanisms are fairly easy to get to. Right now I'm having trouble removing clutch.In the manual It says I need a special HOnda tool to remove the center nut. Anybody has taken there clutch off? What did you use to loosen the center nut?

Old 09-06-2006, 04:53 PM

Update.
I was able to remove the clutch center nut without the special tool. I followed advice I found on another forum: I put transmission in gear( actually it was already stuck in a gear) then used the rear brake to prevent the rear wheel from spinning and the nut came right off. Getting a rachet with a really long handle helped a lot( 22 inches).
When I got to external shifting mechanism the problem seemed obvious: the gearshift shaft/spindle arm was dented and even cracked. The shaft itself was a bit bent too and was hard to remove. I orderd a new one from Bike Bandit-$80.
I also removed the oil pan and visually inspected the gearshift drum and the gears. I didn't see anything wrong and I was able to shift all the way up and down by spinning the shift drum with my hand. Let's just wait for the pars to arrive and we'll see for sure whether the problem is solved.
My exhaust had to be removed in orded to get to the oil pan, so I decided to get rid of it.
Its' a D&D Show'n go Carbon Can Full System. I wonna sell it. Check ebay, if interested http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMESE%3AIT
The bike runs great with it but I don't like the noise. I woudn't bother messing with it but since I got an opportunity I'm gonna put my stock headers back and get some quiet exhaust.
What would you recommend for a quiet aftermarket slip-on? I hear Yoshi's are good. How loud are they?

Old 09-14-2006, 09:18 PM

My bike is finally back together. I test rode and it seems to be back to normal. I did replace my full D&D system with stock headers and Yoshi RS-3 Zyclone slip-on, so it feels and hears a bit different. And here's pictures of the gearshift shaft/spindle. Notice how dented the tabs are and there's even a crack.

[IMG]local://upfiles/6662/8779E179349F45E4A571E4D5CBE7BA90.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/6662/14F524693E2344A4A205A2FA09EF273C.jpg[/IMG]