CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

K & N filter installation problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 09:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K & N filter installation problems

I installed a new K & N filter today, and while I was at it I changed the oil too. After I had everything put back together I took it for a test ride to check for leaks. My bike runs like crap now. It is sooo slow and sounds awful. I have absolutely no clue where to even start with this one. It had tons of power before I installed the filter, but now it is sooooo slow. I have jetted carbs and a D & D slip-on.... do I need a tune-up now because of the new filter? PLEASE help me... I really don't want to have to take it to the dealer! Thanks in advance

Old 09-07-2006, 09:45 PM
Default RE: K & N filter installation problems

did you hook everything back up right? if you put the stock box on, does it run fine?

Old 09-07-2006, 10:32 PM

Ummm well I didn't completely remove the tank. I just loosened it up and set it to the side. When I did that I think I accidentally disconnected some hoses. No gas leaked out though. There are 2 hoses coming from the bottom of the gas tank. The small one is a breather hose, right? So it's not connected to anything?? Then the fatter hose connects into the T of the petcock right? I noticed that there is a fat hose coming off the back of the head, kinda on the right side (if sitting on the bike) that is not connected to anything. Could this be it? Or maybe the air box isn't sealed right? Maybe the airbox didn't seal correctly, or I have a vacuum leak? There are just so many things going through my mind, but I'm not sure how to go about eliminating them one by one til I fix the problem. Any takers?

Old 09-07-2006, 10:33 PM

Oh, and I can't put the stock filter back in because I threw it away and it got oil on it when I threw away my dirty oil filter...

Old 09-08-2006, 12:48 AM

Are all oils created equal? I was told by the previous owner that he only used Mobil 1 fully synthetic oil in the bike. I went to AutoZone and picked up some Mobil 1 fully synthetic oil. Would there be a different Mobil 1 oil for a bike than for a car? Did I use the wrong kind (it was 10W30 by the wat)... thanks again

Old 09-08-2006, 02:02 AM

Yeah Mobil 1 for cars is different than for your bike and is likely bad for your clutch.

Any chance you are kinking a fuel line with something you did??? F2's are gravity fed so they hate it when you screw up a fuel line.

Old 09-08-2006, 03:02 AM

So what ahould I do about the oil? Should I change it, or will it be good if I leave it in? If I should change the oil, how soon should I change it? I did pinch the fuel line, but I'm pretty sure I fixed it. Maybe I should check them all again. About the velocity stacks, what should I check for when I look at them? What else could cause a severe power loss?

Old 09-08-2006, 01:54 PM

I would change the oil soon because of the antifriction additive that they for car motor oil, which is one reason why (the only one I know) it is bad for the clutch. You might even want to do a flush of the system (ie change the oil ride the bike for a while and change it again) just to make sure you got it all out. I am not sure about your lines, maybe check to make sure you made a good seal between the filter and the box, I know my instructions said remove a gasket, but mine didn't have one.

Old 09-08-2006, 08:58 PM

I guess I get to be the first to say I found your problem. You have several. First, that fat hose coming off of the back of the valve cover on the right side needs to be connected to the air intake box. You'll see the nipple that sticks out on the right side of the box. Your bike WILL run like crap if this is not hooked up. Also, there are 4 hoses connected to your fuel tank. Two at the rear, both and 2 at the fuel valve. The small one at the fuel valve is not a vent tube. It should be connected to the small nipple on the top left of the valve cover. This is a vacuum line that opens up the fuel valve and allows fuel flow. The other, is fuel supply to your carbs. Pull the tank off completely. No shortcuts. Make sure the K&N is sealed completely in the airbox. Sometimes they don't like to sit in there snug, and you kinda gotta play with it. Good luck, and let me know if you have any more problems.

Old 09-09-2006, 12:44 PM

Dude I wish you woulda posted that sooner because I already took my bike to the dealer to have them fix it. I just KNEW it was some kind of hose not hooked up or something like that. Crap now I'm gonna pay tons of dough for them to fix it when I could have done it myself. I really like my Clymer manual, but in this instance it just didn't show everything I needed. Or at least it wasn't all put together for me in a spot to figure it out.

Quick Reply: K & N filter installation problems