CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Suspension --> It's why my f2 can beat up your f2!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 11:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension --> It's why my f2 can beat up your f2!

Welp, I've finally done it... my F2's suspension is finally complete to the fullest extent, and ready to rip!

Originally, I purchased some 94 F2 forks, re-sprung them to suit my weight, and decided to run amsoil fork oil. The difference in the front end was AMAZING. I could brake later in the turn, the bike was far more stable, and the difference was clear as day.

Next up was the rear shock. I slapped an f4 rear shock that was rebuilt by Circuit1 (now gp suspension) in the bike, and while it worked, I found the 2" it raised the rear uncomfortable for commuting. Unfortunately, I spend equal, if not more time on my sport bike commuting as I do ripping up back roads, so the ergonomics of such a riding position were surely not for me.

I then picked up a fox racing rear shock. Adjustable height, more adjustable than the F4 shock, and pretty damn nice overall. Unfortunately, the rear spring just wasn't right, and in order to get the correct amount of rider sag, I had to crank the pre-load, which eliminated static sag. Not a proper way to set the bike.

I took my bike to a suspension workshop at EDR in Portland, and had them take a look over the bike, and that confirmed what I already knew: rear spring is ridiculous, the rest is on point. A few adjustments to the suspension really put some new life into the bike as well.

So finally... I've got the beast resprung:

Original Fox spring vs aftermarket Eibach spring. Notice how much larger it is? I've gained suspension travel along with solidifying my suspension by getting the right spring rate!

This is the original stock f2 shock side by side with the fox racing shock, and the brand new spring. Notice how even with some preload on the f2 shock, it's got way more travel? The ride height is adjustable as well, although I'm only .5" raised over stock.

So anyways, the suspension woes of my bike are finally over. The rebound and damping seem fine all around, so no revalving appears necessary. Now I just need for this cold weather to pass so I can see if this beast truly rips!

Old 12-17-2010, 11:12 PM
Old 12-18-2010, 09:44 PM

x2 on the front forks. I had the same issues, that and I am a very large almost 300lb ****. I still need rear shock and springs though. My rear is factory and best i can guess never serviced. I unfortunately also need to tear into my gearbox and fix my shifter issues, but it is all on the back burner for now since it is all snow covered here.

At the moment my other project i REALLY cant afford is getting the lions share of the $$$$$$$$ and time; 1989 Jaguar XJ-S V-12, getting the spare engine rebuilt since it decided to drop half of the valve seats (my father bought it that way, and i inherrited it that way). I have had a spare engine for almost two years now and almost have it done, damn these things are spendy.

Old 12-19-2010, 04:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also have a fox rear shock, good to know. I always suggest the Gsxr Front inverted forks with bigger rotors and 6 brakes, which I have installed. Fits great on the F2/F3. Alot Beefier than the weak link oem forks.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:40 PM

Ohhh now THAT Sounds fancy! What's involved int hat install? Do I need to switch out the triples? What's the full story on that. I also lose the speedo of course, so what's the workaround for that? F4I swap I presume with the pickup and a speedo healer?

Old 12-20-2010, 04:47 AM

You have to do a complete fork and wheel install. I use a Vapor, digital gauge for about $120. You do have to get a headset to fit frame and fork at allballracing.com, they have a conversion chart. I will do a complete write up with pics in the spring. 10X's better than stock forks, Gsxr forks are Behemuths with no flex.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:07 PM

So what sort of price would we be looking at for this? It sounds like it's in the $1k range. considering selling a good condition F2 and putting down another grand will actually get you on a GSXR... it doesn't seem cost effective.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:20 PM

Through ebay, spent with everything for the front end $315. Plus $55 for the allballs headset. I will do a write up and complete pricing in early spring. Just hoping the frame doesn't crack, from lack of flexing.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:16 PM

Heh, that could be a factor. i wonder if anyone else has done a conversion like this prior to yours...

Doesn't the vapor digital gauge tach run out at 10k rpm? I installed a trailtech one, and it stopped at 10k.

Old 12-21-2010, 03:37 PM

Yep, people have and moved away from the F2. Alot of people who race use this set-up and a cheap alternative to destroying a brand new bike. I like the F2 because it is cheap to fix and cheaper solution to have a Streetfighter Rat Bike(my style). Plus, light in the corners.

My vapor goes to 16k rpm's, but never look at it. Play by sound and feel works best for me in corners. Thanks god for a rev-limiter!

Quick Reply: Suspension --> It's why my f2 can beat up your f2!