CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

The story of my brakes... and a plea for help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 03:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was actually thinking of the fact that I did not leave the rad cap off but probably trapped some air in there when I took my ride. The unnerving noise, which is exactly what it is - good description Jeff - occurs once in a while and generally goes away pretty soon so I'm not really sure it is the CCT. Maybe I should give up on this one and take her to a pro to decide... Thanks guys!

Old 07-11-2013, 03:56 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As your oil gets hot it also gets leaner and runs faster therefore running the possibly-about-to-fail-CCT better, I have 20w-50 oil in my engine and it`s like syrup when cold so it might well be the cct, I`ll take those pics you asked for when I get mine and get to changing it, from what I`ve read it`s a no-brainer to do...

Good thing you got the brakes done, I was about to recommend the syringe thing when I found out you already did it.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:16 PM

Aha. I'll bleed the air tonight, planning to take a sunrise tour in the middle of the night, just to make sure that I do things by the book (a bit late for that though). Looking forward to the pics, no pressure though. But thanks in advance.

Yeah, the syringe thing was a good idea. Should have taped the procedure and put up a video. Next time...

Old 07-11-2013, 04:27 PM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is a good thing to consider, since the OEM cct is hydraulic, being actuated by oil pressure.

If your oil is old, and beginning to "break down", it kind of loses some of it's vicosity... change it, if this is the case, for more reasons than just the cct, obviously!
You probably already know this, but if you're oil is black, and really "thin" feeling, rather than a nice clearish brown, with that thicker "syrupy" consistency, then it's time to change it.

If you're low on oil, then you might be taking some time to build up ample oil pressure, or, if you're really low, you probably won't get proper oil pressure.

In either case, this coud definitely affect the operation of the cct, and if you're pretty certain the sound you're hearing is likely the cct, but it goes away after a little bit, then you should start simple - if you are low on oil and/or need an oil change, do that first, for sure.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:32 PM

I did an oil change like 50 miles ago so it couldn't be that. Put in 10W-40, Castrol. Should be fine. But it sounds like it's pressure related though. It's too bad none of you live around here and could take her for a ride... .

Old 07-11-2013, 04:40 PM

So, how about that sound? Is it like Mike and I were describing, like a "clattering" or "rattling" sound, coming from the right side of the motor?

Old 07-11-2013, 04:54 PM

It is coming from the right side of the motor as far as I can tell. Wouldn't describe it exactly as a rattling sound but that could be related to me having problems with some of the finer nuances of the English language... I'll try to capture it on video and put it up here. I have access to pro gear so the soundbite will probably be a lot more accurate than some of the videos I have seen on YouTube where the microphone has cut the sound. But hell, whenever I read your descriptions of CCT problems I feel that this must be it. And I have an APE, only thing I need is detailed descriptions and advice...

Old 07-11-2013, 06:15 PM

Ahhh, an APE, in that case, it's manual, and you can disregard everything Mattson and I said about oil, and the OEM hydraulic cct.

What you need to do, is read up on properly adjusting the APE, if, that is, this is indeed, the noise made by a maladjusted cam chain.

You can probably find the instructions for adjustment on their website, or there might be info in the cct "sticky" - I seem to remember they were in that thread... it's very easy to adjust.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:55 PM

Sorry, I should have been more clear. The CCT I have now is the stock one, I have an APE ready to be installed . After having taken a run right now I'm not sure it is the CCT. it seems the "knocking" (more knock than rattle) is present like below 3000 RPM at any gear. It is almost like an ever-present tug in the chain. However, I now recall that I sometimes, although seldom, get a sound which is best described as a rattle. Damn, this bike is making my head hurt. But I should be happy, a year ago I didn't know squat about motorcycles nor how to ride them. Today I do everything myself. Not superadvanced stuff but still...

Old 07-12-2013, 08:11 AM

When was the last time you cleaned and lubed your chain? And is it still the original 530 chain that's on the bike now?

When a chain is "on its way out", you can get some bound-up links, which can make a kind of a knocking sound, especially at low RPMs under acceleration... I think your bike is making my head hurt now!!

Quick Reply: The story of my brakes... and a plea for help!