CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

runs bad when hot...

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 09:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: runs bad when hot...

Thanks for the input, the only thing with the R/R is that I am having no charging problems or starting problems. And the bike never dies....

I have been reading my service manual and currently thinking its my Ignition pulse Generator. Maybe when the bike gets hot it really starts to act up and is not sending a good signal to the coils.

I am going to change that next and see....[>:]

Old 03-26-2007, 10:29 PM

ORIGINAL: lee1rbc

Thanks for the input, the only thing with the R/R is that I am having no charging problems or starting problems. And the bike never dies....

I have been reading my service manual and currently thinking its my Ignition pulse Generator. Maybe when the bike gets hot it really starts to act up and is not sending a good signal to the coils.

I am going to change that next and see....[>:]
If that doesn't work...better take it to a really good shop.

I'm stumped...not that it's the first time...

Keep us up to date!

Old 03-26-2007, 11:16 PM

thanks, in a couple days i'll have my answer. And yes, if this doesn't work it will be time for someone who knows what there doing to look at the bike.

Old 03-27-2007, 01:45 AM

Are you getting spark to all 4 plugs?

Start the bike cold...and touch all the pipes near the headers...see if one is cooler than the others...

Old 03-27-2007, 01:59 AM

When I changed the coils and plug wires Idid notice that plug wire threelooks burnt around the connector for the spark plug.Also the problem seems to be getting worse, its starting to miss when the bike is cold and at a little lower rpm's like 5.5k.

I ordered a ignition pulse generatortonight for $20.

Old 03-27-2007, 04:50 AM

When I changed the coils and plug wires Idid notice that plug wire threelooks burnt around the connector for the spark plug.Also the problem seems to be getting worse, its starting to miss when the bike is cold and at a little lower rpm's like 5.5k.

I ordered a ignition pulse generatortonight for $20.
97 coils and plug wires?

Sure these are good?

Did you ever check your compression on each cylinder?

This would require a guage and removing the tank...airbox....etc.

Old 03-27-2007, 05:35 AM

Some guys at another site...Honda's...but different year models of CBR were having similar problems.

Here were some of their fixes...
fuel pressure regulator fixed it
fuel pump relay. The pump itself worked, but the lead to it out of the relay had no juice.
I did a trackside fix of wiring it direct to a different hot wire (i think the taillight wire), and never did replace the relay.
We fixed it, there was a selonoid(spelling) that went bad, we disconnected it and it seems to run fine now, eventually it will be replaced.

Old 03-27-2007, 09:34 PM

I think I found the problem!!!!

OK, I was checking the ignition, tested the coils, ignition pulse, wires,icm, all good.

Friend came over on His 01 GSXR600.We decided to go for a ride. Like clock work the little CBR started sputtering at 7k. We come up to a stop light and I tell Him watch this and we take off from the light andat 7K it just starts to sputter going nowhere. So I just stay WOT with my friend beside me watching this bike struggle for 8K. Then she fights to 8.5K, then 9K and then at 9.5K POW! She's gone, throws me back, hit second and lift the front tire off the ground like a run away train. My friendcatches up to me and tells me all this fuel just shot out of the pipe. Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

The previous owner installed a dynojet kit, the needle is at #2 but He did not plug thehole on theslider like dynojet says to do. What I am thinking is that He installed the dynojet spring and it didn't run right so he put the stock spring back in, so the bike has stock springs with a dynojet needle and because of that the needle is coming up to fast causing a rich condition.

Old 03-28-2007, 12:24 AM

I think I found the problem!!!!

OK, I was checking the ignition, tested the coils, ignition pulse, wires,icm, all good.

Friend came over on His 01 GSXR600.We decided to go for a ride. Like clock work the little CBR started sputtering at 7k. We come up to a stop light and I tell Him watch this and we take off from the light andat 7K it just starts to sputter going nowhere. So I just stay WOT with my friend beside me watching this bike struggle for 8K. Then she fights to 8.5K, then 9K and then at 9.5K POW! She's gone, throws me back, hit second and lift the front tire off the ground like a run away train. My friendcatches up to me and tells me all this fuel just shot out of the pipe. Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

The previous owner installed a dynojet kit, the needle is at #2 but He did not plug thehole on theslider like dynojet says to do. What I am thinking is that He installed the dynojet spring and it didn't run right so he put the stock spring back in, so the bike has stock springs with a dynojet needle and because of that the needle is coming up to fast causing a rich condition.

Sounds like you may have found the problem...since plugging the hole in the slider is to compensate for the kit's enriched fuel mixture.

Because that hole is a low speed, "idle"...it ran fine until you opened it up ..and dumped a ton of gas through the jets...
into the the "venturi"...and into the intake valves...drowning the plugs.

Once warmed up though and with you not giving up on the throttle...the excess gas got burned
off from the sheer heat of the combustion chamber...and some spit out the exhaust valve...into the pipes...
making your bike take a wee-wee.

Cool.

Now...plug the holes...and HOPEFULLY you're G2G.

Nice job....

Will store that one in the old memory banks...

Old 03-28-2007, 10:18 PM

Problem solved!!!!!!!!!!

I decided not to mess with dyno jet and purchased a set of carbs off a 94 F2 that was being parted out. They were stock carbsso I took the needles for my carbs. In the process I noticed that the needlediaframhad a much better seal and rubber was way less weathered, also the springs wern't stretched out like mine were (by almost an inch). All said and doneI did put an extra shim in the stock needles, but otherwise back to stock. Bike runs very, very, nice and runs its best and smoothest when warmed up.