CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

The resurrection of Smokin' Joe

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 04:29 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My Fireblade bodywork was as bad as that, I started again with Chinese fairings and a used fuel tank. I had the tank painted to match and it came out really well.

Old 03-15-2018, 06:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tentacleslap
Shut up what the frig. You ruined it!

Keep the pit crew. They're great

I'd maybe rotate the video, but other than that it looks good to me
They did brilliant lol director wasn't so great - I didn't tell them how to hold the phone. I have an action cam coming so there will be more vids soon.

Unfortunately on the 15th, someone stole the Suzuki. Its flagged as stolen with the police, I have it listed on every stolen page on fb. I really hope I get it back. It was walked away down the road between midnight and 2 am and then would have had the ignition smashed and ridden away, probably to feed someones drug habit or some bored buggers joy ride its not worth heaps of money - $2000 on a very good day I don't think it would be taken for parts since its pretty much a GN250 parts are cheap anyway. It wasn't the tidiest one around but I got it for my mrs as a birthday present 2 years ago and we doing it up together.

CBR is safe and sound thankfully. Does suck about the Suzuki though.

Old 03-15-2018, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Gunk
My Fireblade bodywork was as bad as that, I started again with Chinese fairings and a used fuel tank. I had the tank painted to match and it came out really well.
Gosh that is nice! I am a brave/stubborn/silly/tight man and so I am determined to try and fix these plastics even though effort wise its easier to start over.

Old 03-16-2018, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by smokinjoef2
Unfortunately on the 15th, someone stole the Suzuki
Ugh that's the worst. I'm sorry to hear that

Old 04-03-2018, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by tentacleslap
Ugh that's the worst. I'm sorry to hear that
Yeah it does suck when it happens. I was thinking of getting a V-twin 250 for the mrs, the GZ was ok but 2 up its a struggle. She likes smaller lighter bikes, so did I, although I'm happy in 600cc country now. Since the Suzuki is gone we'd have to save from scratch. Chances are not high we'll get it back despite searching etc. Well it taught me. Oxford brake alarm lock, alarm and imobiliser, handle bar lock will go on Smokin Joe. They didn't bother with my car because its alarmed and with 2 alarms on my bike they won't go near it, unless its a professional but they are after more valuable exotic bikes rather than an old F2 CBR600 lol (I hope!). This area is crappy and so its just taken to feed a habit. A flashing LED seems to keep them away. I had the Suzuki parked beside the car many times and nothing had happened for well over a year. Steering locks help but should not be the only security as I found.

I've just started as mechanic - cars. I want to get into bikes sometime though. So I'll have parts coming WAY quicker for Smokin Joe. Pity I only get the odd Sunday to actually fit said parts now.

Last edited by smokinjoef2; 04-03-2018 at 04:34 AM.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:06 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by smokinjoef2
Yeah it does suck when it happens. I was thinking of getting a V-twin 250 for the mrs, the GZ was ok but 2 up its a struggle. She likes smaller lighter bikes, so did I, although I'm happy in 600cc country now. Since the Suzuki is gone we'd have to save from scratch. Chances are not high we'll get it back despite searching etc. Well it taught me. Oxford brake alarm lock, alarm and imobiliser, handle bar lock will go on Smokin Joe. They didn't bother with my car because its alarmed and with 2 alarms on my bike they won't go near it, unless its a professional but they are after more valuable exotic bikes rather than an old F2 CBR600 lol (I hope!). This area is crappy and so its just taken to feed a habit. A flashing LED seems to keep them away. I had the Suzuki parked beside the car many times and nothing had happened for well over a year. Steering locks help but should not be the only security as I found.

I've just started as mechanic - cars. I want to get into bikes sometime though. So I'll have parts coming WAY quicker for Smokin Joe. Pity I only get the odd Sunday to actually fit said parts now.
Sorry about the theft Joe, that really sucks.

Good news on the work front though, gotta pay the bills and keep the wolf from the door.

Just be careful the same thing doesn't happen when you have the project bike fixed up, that would be reeeeelly bad

Old 04-06-2018, 04:01 AM

Alarm, brake and lever locks are coming before I bring the CBR here. I ordered a clutch kit - and borrowed an image. But I'm expecting something like this in around 14 days time. And EBC brake pads front and rear too, not pictured but there will be pics once the parts arrive! And some of them being put on the bike! I'll get some oil and a filter which must be done with a new clutch kit. Sick of not being able to ride. Bummer I have 14 days without riding.

Attached Thumbnails The resurrection of Smokin' Joe-clutch-kitmod-bc648876.jpg  
Old 04-26-2018, 01:52 AM

Finally the first of the parts! EBC pads all around. I already have some Bel Ray dot 4 brake fluid as well, I'll be flushing out the old fluid. Shell semi synthetic 4 liter 10w40 and filter. I'll be doing another lube service once I have the clutch kit in, I'll ride it nicely so it doesn't slip. I haven't had it slip on me yet, just finding second sometimes is a pain get neutral etc.

I also have a disk brake lock too for the front. I plan to get a bar and lever lock too so I know its safer and then also an imobiliser/alarm.

Excuse the picture it was quality taken on my very cheap action camera. I planned to record with this lol but its terrible worse than my cell so I'm getting another. SJCam probably. I hope to get the new 5000+ but likely I'll be cheap and get 4000. Anyway I didn't pay $50 just for a set of rear brake pads. It was about $150 for everything which wasn't bad.

Clutch is due in the next few days. I went genuine Honda. Over $300 but I have every single spring washer and seal to do the job properly. Then I'm replacing the thermostat, fuel filter, cooling system flush, check the air filter, new platinum spark plugs. Tridon thermostat from auto parts store as they are thermostats are generic and I'd rather spend $25 instead of $67 lol. I'll make sure the opening temperature is what Honda recommends. $300 again to do cam chain, tensioners and guides. Valve shim clearance check/adjustment. Carburetor balance. And that is my plan for a 100,000 km full service on this bike.

Attached Thumbnails The resurrection of Smokin' Joe-pict0009.jpg   The resurrection of Smokin' Joe-pict0010.jpg   The resurrection of Smokin' Joe-pict0011.jpg   The resurrection of Smokin' Joe-pict0012.jpg  

Last edited by smokinjoef2; 04-26-2018 at 02:08 AM. Reason: 100,000 km service plan
Old 04-29-2018, 05:46 AM

Service done, new pads in and brake fluid flushed. The bleed nipple snapped off on the rear caliper which sucks. Doesn't leak but I will get a replacement. Discovered 2 fuel leaks - one at the petcock I knew of, second is the carb float bowls. Bad gasket I think. Bummer. Carbs probably due for a clean anyway. Bike has plenty of power and doesn't hesitate. I get very average mileage, maybe 80 miles to a tank. It does need a carb sync and valve clearance. One the leaks are fixed, clearances and sync are done it should be around normal spec.

Old 05-06-2018, 04:27 AM

Carb seal gaskets are on order. I'll see how the air filter is since I'll have the tank off, good time to try get as much of dent out as possible. I'll be doing the fuel tap too, so hopefully that cures the leaks. It needs a good clean as well. I have a replacement rear brake caliper which doesn't have a broken bleed nipple. Also in the weekend I'd like to get a new thermostat and flush the cooling system, maybe new radiator cap too if it needs one. Brakes, cooling system and service will be done then.

Quick Reply: The resurrection of Smokin' Joe