CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Really Odd Charging Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 10:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Really Odd Charging Issue

So... This happened once before, I chalked it up to fluke.

After riding for about 1-1.5 hours, the battery died off, and the bike would not start. All electrical came on, but it simply could not crank.

Got a ride home, brought the battery with me, and checked the voltage - 11.6x. The bike was safe over night so I figured I'd go back to it in the morning.

Got back to it today, and re-checked the voltage resting, and it was about the same. I put the battery back in the bike and checked the voltage again - no change. turned on the key, brought on the lights, saw dip in voltage to about 11.2-3 . Cranked over and it fired right up. Now, I didnt charge the battery last night. I just let it be. Well, I tested the voltage - 12v running at idle and at 5k rpm - 14v. I did this repeatedly, cold, right up to operating temp, etc.

The first time it did this, I am fortunate enough that I have access to Hershey's skills in person. We tested just about everything as per the diagnostic manual and found no fault. The only difference then vs. today is I charged the battery over the night that it died.

Based on this... If its pulling voltage to 14v at 5k, then the stator must be working, as thats proper charging voltage. Also, if its getting to the battery, the rec must be working, because I unplugged the rec and measured, and there was an immediate drop into the 10v range. Plus, theres been a month interval between it doing this the first time and now the second time. The only similarities between the 2 evenings was that it was brutally hot out, and I was riding fairly hard - keeping it up in the 7k and beyond range. Would that matter?

My only thought is - the rec, which is aftermarket, could it simply shut off if it gets too hot? Or the stator stop working under higher rpms / heat? I didnt over heat the thing, I was just on it fairly hard. Wires dont seem to be burned / melted / grounded.

HELP!!! I love riding this thing, and I know Hershey doesn't want to see if up for sale... That HD catalogue is looking pretty sweet right now.... KIDDING!!!! Edmonton summers are short enough as it is, I dont need less time on my bike!

Old 07-22-2009, 10:33 PM
Banned

it kind of sounds like your battery is bad i know it may check out ok with a volt meter but what volt is it pulling under a load? for example it doesnt use much power to run the bike as it does to start it. kind of sounds like a bad ground or a bad battery. maybe it has a dry cell or a cracked cell? who knows.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:17 PM

Its possible I guess, but the battery and rectifier are both 3 months old.

Edit: I also jut rode home. Probably put about 30-40 minutes on it. No issues. Again, I havent charged the battery at all since it died, other then it running today and charging off the stator.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:08 PM

electrical problems can be a pain to diagnose. U know its really easy to bump start a motorcycle, right? U dont even need a battery lol.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

At a certain point the bike will just stall and not turn back on again... A weak battery can be bump started, but a pooched charging system will fail over and over again.

But yeah, electrical troubleshooting is a bitch.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:24 PM

I believe you need the battery on a bike to keep the circuit going. Its different then a car.

Oh.. and BUMP.

Anyone have this problem before? I cant be the first!

Old 07-24-2009, 02:03 PM

im 99% positive i have started my bike without my battery in it before. maybe my legs are super strong and i reach mach1 courtesy of 5 years of concrete lol. but i know ive done it.

get your battery tested at a shop. maybe its a bad battery.

but im pretty sure the temperature thing is no coincidence and your rectifier was in fact overheating. i have had something similar happen to me.

Last edited by shardoflard; 07-24-2009 at 02:11 PM.