CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Rattling/Tappeting/knocking noise - PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 08:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Rattling/Tappeting/knocking noise - PLEASE HELP!

Hi All,

I am going to keep it to the point and avoid jargon. There is already lot of information on the topic BUT I am STILL VERY CONFUSED hence posting this.

About me
-----------
Not a motorbike geek as most of you are or maybe But I have begun to learn. I am in the UK.

Background
-----------
Recently bought a used CBR600 F2 (91 Model), 35000 miles, no service history. It needed some minor work which I have done (from a local mechanic).

The bike rides perfect, no power or other issues except for the following:

Problem
----------
There is this rattling or tappet noise which comes from the right hand side, engine side. It does not come all the time but only when the engine is hot or the bike is ridden a bit.

On cold start it is fine (no noise). Note, when I rev up to 4000 or 5000 a few times, the noise disappears or at least quietens down significantly.

What I have done so far
-----------------------

Replaced the CCT to a new one (OEM/stock Honda)
Changed Oil filter and obviously put in new expensive oil.

Present status
---------------

The noise now is not as frequent as it was but there is still noise when I ride the bike for a bit or when the engine gets hot. If I then rev up the engine it quietens and comes back etc.

I have read that APE/Manual CCT will solve this but I have also read where the manual CCT was put in but the noise still existed. The mecahnic thinks putting in manual would help but he cannot guarantee. I have only put an OEM 3 days ago. I am on VERY tight budget. I dont want to experiment.

I have heard and read that it could be Valve clearance - but if that was the case then the noise would come all the time regardless of revs/temperature?

What I am asking from you
-------------------------

From you experience/knowledge what do I do?

1. get valves re-synced? OR
2. carbs re-synced? OR
3. change spark plugs? OR
4. replace cam chain or guide or both? OR
5. put in manual CCT?

Mind you I have not ridden the bike much since oil and cct change so I carry on bit more and see?

If any of you guys is in London then I am to meet up.

Your assistance regardless of wherever you are will be highly appreciated and save me the ongoing uncertainty and headache.

Thanks

Asad.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:25 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cheapest thing to start is the manual CCT. I recommed this first. Everything else gets pricey, real quick. I am sure if it is only coming from the right side, more than likely it is the OEM cam chain rattle. Get a CCT, tighten down and back thread the back 2/3rds of a turn and you are set.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by underground-mpyre
Cheapest thing to start is the manual CCT. I recommed this first. Everything else gets pricey, real quick. I am sure if it is only coming from the right side, more than likely it is the OEM cam chain rattle. Get a CCT, tighten down and back thread the back 2/3rds of a turn and you are set.
Thanks for your reply. It is definitely the right side.

Something I forgot to mention earlier.

When the mechanic removed the old OEM tensioner, I noticed that the end (which goes inside the engine) had some wear, for example the surface had shiny rubs (not all the surface). Does that mean the guide is hitting the CCT or vice versa? Therefore should mean the chain is definitely the culprit?

Finally, why doesn't the new OEM tensioner which I have put in 3 days ago hold it down?

Old 03-26-2012, 08:11 PM

Doesn't it push down on the guide? Maybe the guide is worn through? I fear my bike may have a similar issue, or is developing one.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:28 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

your guide could be worn through, you could be like me and first replace the cct... omg wow sound still there.... then do a valve lash check....everythings in spec, then be like omg lets rip apart the motor and turns out it was a spun rod bearing

Old 03-27-2012, 05:16 AM

Thanks for your reply. What's "spun rod bearing"? what are the symptoms that show its the spun rod bearing?

Old 03-28-2012, 08:47 AM

I am hearing the same noise! I can deal with everything but a spun rod bearing. Is this a common issue with these bikes? My 94 F2 odometer is only reading 7500K.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:25 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

take it to any person who's smart about bikes and let em hear it. they will be able to immediatly tell you that you bent a rod or spun a bearing haha. Easy way to check, look at your gold pan ,er oil pan for gold flakes hahahah