F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Rattling noise

Old 06-10-2010, 03:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattling noise

Hey guys, I'm a proud owner of a 2004 F4i I bought it as a salvage and rebuilt it. Recently I've started modding and the first thing I did were chain and sprockets since the old ones needed replacements anyways, so I went with a -1/+2 set up and now that I've been riding it for a bit I've been noticing a rattling noise in my low-mid RPM range which wasn't there with my stock set up. When I first heard it I figured maybe I had to much slack in the chain during initial install, so I turned around, went home, tweaked it, went back out and still heard it. At this point the only thing I can think of is that it's maybe the chain smacking the swing arm, since the front sprocket is smaller, it's gonna follow closer to swing arm. But I figured I'd throw it out there since I know this is a popular mod for the F4i's. So any help from you guys would be greatly appreciated!!!

Old 06-10-2010, 03:44 PM

were your parts new? when i tightened my old chain it was to tight and would make a scrapping noise. is your rear tire alligned?

Old 06-10-2010, 03:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look at the sticky titled THE CCTL THREAD. That may answer your question.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:51 PM

hmmmm I'll deffiantly look into that i just figured it was the set up since it started happening when i did the swap

Old 06-11-2010, 08:42 PM

Mine has a rattling noise too, I got a brand new CCT. After picking up the CCT from the dealer, I bumped in a a guy that had a 929RR and had issues with his CCT. He heard my bike, and believes that the rattling is not due to a CCT....

ARGH! I will strip the bike this weekend, and will look for that freaking rattle!!

Old 06-12-2010, 03:15 AM

^Considering the 929 isn't an f4i, how would he know? Not all bikes use the same part.

Old 06-12-2010, 12:29 PM

lol nice zero well heres the deal i put it up on a swing arm stand and ran it through some gears granted i do have a tight spot in my chain thats not the source of my noise, but now heres the tricky part i tryed revving it into the trouble RPM range in NEUTRAL and i wasnt hearing a thing whats your thoughts?

Old 06-12-2010, 12:32 PM

and knonfs good luck with your search take your time and dont let the frustration get to you i deffinatly know how you feel but you'll end up making stupid mistakes if your all wound up! and zero is right the 929 deffinatly is a differant species that im not totally accustom with so i have no help for you either...wish i did though!!

Old 06-12-2010, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by L.P.~600F4i
lol nice zero well heres the deal i put it up on a swing arm stand and ran it through some gears granted i do have a tight spot in my chain thats not the source of my noise, but now heres the tricky part i tryed revving it into the trouble RPM range in NEUTRAL and i wasnt hearing a thing whats your thoughts?
Well is the rattling noise not normal, bikes do rattle lol. How about your keys maybe that's what your hearing. And how tight is that tight spot? maybe it's tighter if the bike is on the ground. The weight of the bike + you on it might make the tight spot to tight making your chain swing side to side causing the rattle noise? i dont know... maybe a loose bolt. Does it have a crash cage? maybe the pucks are rattling. Or plastic.

Old 06-12-2010, 07:39 PM

Bikes do have a certain rattle/vibration to them. It's the fact Honda mounted an engine to a 400lb piece of aluminum and slapped on wires, lights, and plastic. I think a little rattle/vibration is a good thing. I'd be worried if there wasn't. I hear my chain sometimes, when it's going around on the sprockets, but it's totally normal.

If you tested it in neutral, it's probably the vibration of the motor. If there's still a 'rattling' noise, it's most likely a loose piece somewhere. Otherwise something's bouncing around inside your engine :P

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rattling noise