CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

pouring gas - can't tell from where!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 06:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pouring gas - can't tell from where!

So I dropped my F2 a couple months ago to avoid hitting a dumb old woman that decided to turn left as I was passing her. My fairings are toast, but they did their job I think - the bike started up with a little trouble and I was able to ride it the 500ft or so I had to go to my house. After attending my wounds I went back out to start it up and I noticed that once it finally turned over gas would just pour out from behind the carbs. I can't see where it's coming from.

I just picked up a F2 workshop manual and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions with where I should start.

thanks for reading.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:19 PM

Well. That wasn't very detailed... Is it coming out of the bottom of the carb bowls via the drain nipples? The rear of the gas tank? (it has overflows/vents in it.) See if you can't pop off a side panel and check out where it drips from when you turn the petcock to "on" and we'll go from there. There are quite a few seals in the bike that prevent gas from leaving it.

It could be from:

-Petcock assembly (rubber seals and tank-to-valve seal)
-Hoses going to carbs (6 joints in that alone, not to mention seals from hose barbs into the carbs)
-Bowl seals on carbs
-Vents on tank
-Stuck float/bad needle, causing carbs to overflow
-other things I forgot about
-random freak failures or complicated mechanical puzzles

Old 10-28-2009, 10:36 PM

I am getting old and my vision is failing...I need a light source to spot leaks and such. Most of the time I have matches on me but it is quite windy these days so the matches keep blowing out. Will I get more light if I place the bike in an enclosed space before I light my match?

Old 10-28-2009, 10:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by thrasher572
I am getting old and my vision is failing...I need a light source to spot leaks and such. Most of the time I have matches on me but it is quite windy these days so the matches keep blowing out. Will I get more light if I place the bike in an enclosed space before I light my match?

Matches will never be bright enough unfortunately. Last guy who asked this question I told to use a blow torch. I haven't heard from him since, which probably means he got it fixed and is out riding around, therefore the technique definitely works.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:06 PM

lol @ thrasher572 & jnicola

---
Originally Posted by JimmyHoffa
Well. That wasn't very detailed... Is it coming out of the bottom of the carb bowls via the drain nipples? The rear of the gas tank? (it has overflows/vents in it.) See if you can't pop off a side panel and check out where it drips from when you turn the petcock to "on" and we'll go from there. There are quite a few seals in the bike that prevent gas from leaving it.

It could be from:

-Petcock assembly (rubber seals and tank-to-valve seal)
-Hoses going to carbs (6 joints in that alone, not to mention seals from hose barbs into the carbs)
-Bowl seals on carbs
-Vents on tank
-Stuck float/bad needle, causing carbs to overflow
-other things I forgot about
-random freak failures or complicated mechanical puzzles
Sidepanel == ? the fairings? The bike is completely naked at the moment. I actually took it into the shop the day after the accident and they had a look at it. They said that it'd cost 5 hours for them to remove the carbs and see where the gas is coming from; somewhere behind them.

So I guess that's my first order of business is removing everything up to the carbs and just see of anything is already disconnected for me on the way?

Old 11-05-2009, 10:30 AM

I'm glad your friendly local shop takes only 5 hours for anything associated with carburetors. I put a motor in in 45 minutes a few days ago. Sooo... That seems about right.

Yeah. That would be a good start. To diagnose such problems (as long as you can rule out the petcock on the tank) I'd construct a mock-gas-tank-on-a-stick tool. I just made a little container out of some pipe from the hardware store that has a brass nipple on the bottom and a little cutoff valve to act like a gas tank. That way I can play with the carbs on my bench without putting them back in the bike every time. It's one of the best things I've ever paid 5 dollars for.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:59 AM

5 hours to look at your carbs? NEVER go back to those jerks!

lets see some pics of the bike.... close ups of the gas "pouring" out.