CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Fuel pouring from carbs? 89CBR600

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 05:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pouring from carbs? 89CBR600

Son bought this bike just before Christmas. I actually shopped for it for him. Seller started it just fine to show it. Rolled it onto the trailer and bought it home. Really cold day, but I started it and ran it around the bike. Then put it away for the Winter. Pulled the battery, and covered it. So yesterday, I filled the gas tank with fresh gas, a little Sea Foam, and put the battery back in. Turns out the trickle charger was doing nothing so the battery is nearly dead. Placed a working charger on the battery while it is in the bike, and spent 10 or 15 minutes trying to start it. Choke on, choke off, nothing. I can see fuel in the filter, but did not look further. Let it charge the battery another hour and return. Now the starter is really workign well, and the bike starts up, and idles, but there is gas pouring out of the carbs. All 4 it looks like.... thought maybe I had flooded things trying to start it earlier, so I let it sit a half hour and try again, same result. Starts and runs/idles fine, but there is gas pouring out? Where to start? TIA, Dave

Old 04-20-2011, 07:44 AM

I have had gas pour out my carbs before. I believe it was either my float bowls were stuck for the time being and it was flooding or the carb bowl gaskets, cause mine were/are pretty worn however it did go away after idling for 10 minutes. You can always check the carburetor drain screw to see if they're loose or you may have to remove them and clean them.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pull the carbs out and clean them. Odds are floats are stuck causing fuel to come out the overflow tubes between 1/2 carbs and 3/4 carbs. Also a possibility, but far less likely is float bowl gaskets are dried out. From my experience though, at least 1 float is stuck.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:53 AM

Here is an update, did not get back to the bike until dark again, but started it up and there was significantly less dripping, and now maybe just from the first (closest to the side stand) carb. This suggests to me the floats were stuck, and the fresh gas and SeaFoam started to loosen things up. I will pull the float bowls and clean out the needles before I go too far. Hate to pull the carbs and deal with all that... the bike only sat for 4 months, so a little sticking might explain it away. Need some daylight time to work on it! Thanks for the inputs... Dave

Old 04-21-2011, 04:34 PM

You need to pull the carbs to take the bowls off, and theyre really not that hard to remove. Tank, Airbox, unhook cables and fuel line, loosen boots, pull.

Old 04-21-2011, 04:45 PM

I have to agree sounds like the fuel that was in the carbs over the winter gummed up things and the floats were not stopping the fuel. They are really not hard to pull apart. Just pay close attention to what goes where and make sure it goes back the same way. I worked on aset of carbs that someone pulled apart and had all the jets in the wrong places. Needless to say the bike would not run before hand after I straightened it out the bike ran like a champ.
Good luck.

Old 05-28-2011, 02:43 PM
Default Still a problem, actually worse

Son, posted similar post a little while ago. So the leak was slight for a couple days, so we did not mess with it. He got his license Monday, and we got him on the road Thursday. Yesterday we take it to get it inspected, and it failed, as there was gas leaking again. Pulled the carbs, and removed the float bowls. There was a lot of crap in there! Float bowl gaskets did not look good either, but we cleaned everything and buttoned it up. Started it up, and leaked worse.... looks like it is coming from the fule distribution tubes. The brown T was the worse. Pulled it all apart now, and tubes are out. Of coarse the local dealerships don't have any parts in stock WTF! Then on top of that, we have to buy the o-rings and the float bowl gaskets in sets.... $27 x 4 to get the bowl gaskets, and $16 x 4 for the 10 o-rings!!!!! There must be a source for individual parts? Any suggestions?

Old 05-28-2011, 07:45 PM

I believe I replied in your sons post, but i will reply in this one as well. As far as the bowl gaskets go, use silicone lubricant spray and spray them, should make them expand. as for the O rings, My T valve was leaking on my bike as well, so I just dabbed a little copper gasket maker around the o ring and reinstalled it. Doesnt leak now and hasn't for 2 years.