CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Please help me decide what colors and tools I need.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 09:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see. I was afraid I would hear that. I am really convinced in doing everything myself though. I have no interest in bringing my bike to anyone specifically for cosmetic work- even if I were to do all the prep work. If you really think spray paint will turn out horrible, then I may just go ahead and buy a gun and compressor.

What if I painted the colors and pattern with a rattlecan, then had them professionally clear coated? Would that help the look and longevity of it? Or is clear coat pretty much all the same?

The reason I am insisting on rattlecan, is because the quality of the paint job currently, is very low... But still looks good enough for me. From a few feets distance, you can see some tiny cracks, runs, and some scratches. If I had a paintjob half the quality of yours, I would be satisfied; which I think I could pull off with a decent set of rattlecans. What do you think?

Old 08-31-2009, 02:34 PM

Well, me being a painter I say do it the right way.

But if money is tight and you are aware that a rattle can job may look like complete crap or it could look decent.

If you going to do it cheap do it cheap, dont rattle can and then get it professionally cleared.

My as well rattle can it and see how it turns out and just save your pennys for a nice paint job or the stuff you need to paint.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:22 PM

Yeah, I guess getting it professionally clear coated after spray painting it would be just about the dumbest thing I could do.

And ya, I am doing this specifically to save money. I don't know how to work on brakes, and don't want to mess anything up in that department from trying. I know my brakes need work though so I am anticipating bringing my bike to a shop before winters over. They are squeaky and spongee on feel. I can't tell if I need new pads/rotors, or just need to flush the braking fluid though? There is a very very small ridge on my front rotors, but I don't know what to look for on the actual brake pads.

I have gone to the extent of cleaning my carbs and flushing all fluids but braking fluid. Is it out of my league you think? I definitely would like to save money if I can.