CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

petcock causing motor to run rich?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 05:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: petcock causing motor to run rich?

ORIGINAL: rookie year

hey guy, when was the last time the carbs were cleaned,i'm 80% sure if you haven't had the float needles changed they will stick the same way a toilet would if the plunger doesn't drop, the gas will flow constantly,that would cause the fuel to flowcontinously over load the carb or carbs and cause it to run this way and may foul the plug or plug. the best way to chase this problem is to check the plugs to see which one has the most gas in the cylinder .that is theneedle you change.i'm a certified motorcycle mechanic for over ten year,this was a common problem for f2-f3.lmk how you make out. good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
im having a similar problem, but it seems like my plugs foul just about every time i try to start it,then i have to drain the bowls,remove the plugs,dry em off, and wait a while to try again. today i noticed when i was cranking it, as i let off the startar switch(on an unsuccessful starting try)about a half second later i would hear acarb slide go pop as it slid back into place. whattaya pros out there think? I got the bike after it had been sitting for a year andi cleaned the lower parts of the carbs perfectly, but didnt do anything to the top side.
j

Old 04-27-2008, 10:37 PM

ORIGINAL: ggrahn

I cleaned/rebuilt the carbs, had the tank refinished on the inside andfactory petcock was hosed so I replaced it with a Pingle dual outlet model (~$125 instead of factory ~$250).
Can you elaborate a little more on your petcock setup? What is a Pingle set up and where did you get it? My 92's fuel switch/petcock has just gone bad and I lost the ability to use the reserve andI think it's failing all together and soon I won't get any fuel flow. I certainly don't want to spend $250 replacing it. Can you help me out?

Thanks, Krokus

Old 04-28-2008, 11:46 AM

http://www.pingelonline.com/powerflo.htm

This is the exact valve I have in my bike. Works great, cheaper then factory. I purchased from CycleGear in Auburn, Washington. They have all the dealer info on their website. I am sure there are more offerings availible, but this was the first one I found in the price I was willing to pay. I can try to get some installed pics with my phone if you'd like.

edit: it does have reserve capacity, but I've never used it.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:46 PM

ORIGINAL: ggrahn

http://www.pingelonline.com/powerflo.htm

This is the exact valve I have in my bike. Works great, cheaper then factory. I purchased from CycleGear in Auburn, Washington. They have all the dealer info on their website. I am sure there are more offerings availible, but this was the first one I found in the price I was willing to pay. I can try to get some installed pics with my phone if you'd like.

edit: it does have reserve capacity, but I've never used it.
ggrahn:
Thanks for the picture and the link. Was it hard to install? If you could post a picture from your phone, I'd appreciate it. It would kind of give me an idea on installation ideas. Do you think this part is cheaper than a petcock for an F3? Actually cost at this point is mute, I need to keep my F2 running because my 910R has been in the shop for 3 weeks and driving a car at this point is financial suicide with the price of fuel and everything.

I'll scope out the link you posted. Thanks for the reply and the help.

Take Care,
Krokus

Old 04-29-2008, 12:15 PM

these are the two best shots. Its a simple install. Remove old valve, install new valve, create lines. I used some autozone fuel line and some worm clamps. You can get rid of the factory t valve in the fuel lines this way as well. The pingle has a reserve as well. I have no idea of the capacity. It doesn't leak and its the only *bling* on my bike.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:02 AM

Thanks ggrahn for the pictures, they are very helpfull. I can get an idea now of how to do the installation. I ordered the part today, if I get it by the weekend I'll install it.

Krokus