CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Pet cock valve and o-rings for carb.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 02:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pet **** valve and o-rings for carb.

Hey guys I'm about to purchase a 1992 CBR 600 F2 and its not running as of the moment. He said the bike ran perfectly sound till he stopped using it about a year and a half ago. He said it just needs a carb. o-rings because it leaks fuel at the carbs and a new petcock valve. I'm just wondering if its worth the trouble to buy the bike for 1000 with these problems. Does anyone have a step by step diagram of how these problems could be fixed? Keep in mind this is going to be my first bike... What's the average price for a new petcock valve? Does anyone have any references where to buy one for a good price? and does anyone know what I should do with the carbs? And which parts I should buy?

Well, thanks. Please let me know asap... as my scheduled purchasing date is this friday...

Thanks.

Old 08-29-2007, 05:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Pet **** valve and o-rings for carb.

ORIGINAL: jahnaboi

Hey guys I'm about to purchase a 1992 CBR 600 F2 and its not running as of the moment. He said the bike ran perfectly sound till he stopped using it about a year and a half ago. He said it just needs a carb. o-rings because it leaks fuel at the carbs and a new petcock valve. I'm just wondering if its worth the trouble to buy the bike for 1000 with these problems. Does anyone have a step by step diagram of how these problems could be fixed? Keep in mind this is going to be my first bike... What's the average price for a new petcock valve? Does anyone have any references where to buy one for a good price? and does anyone know what I should do with the carbs? And which parts I should buy?

Well, thanks. Please let me know asap... as my scheduled purchasing date is this friday...

Thanks.
How many miles? It's hard to say. I purchased my '94 CBR600F2 from a friend. It wasn't used for 4 yrs and had 20K miles on it and we couldn't get it started when I took a look at it. I had virtually no motorcycle experience (did take MSF) and limited knowledge in small engine repair. I bought it for $1900. I purchased the 4 O-Ring kits from http://www.BikeBandit.com (and a few other things related to being a newb). Took off the carbs, cleaned it out with Carb cleaner and still had no luck. I took apart the jets, cleaned them out and I was good to go. I would try to verify the source of the leak. I would also check the tank for for rust and check the fuel lines (although they are cheaply replaced). As far as I understand, the CBR600F2's have very dependable powerplants that are pretty hard to kill. So it may not take much to get it up and running. You might also want to replace the plugs (to avoid worrying if they are the cause of the problem later). 3 common things that go bad on these bikes: Regulator/Rectifer, Camshaft Tensionor and 2nd Gear fork (I didn't need to replace any of these thus far).

Recommended reads:
How-to buy a used motorcycle (https://cbrforum.com/m_16005/tm.htm)
How-to clean your carbs (https://cbrforum.com/m_311016/tm.htm)

Download the repair manual and Dan's Repair Course (https://cbrforum.com/m_350599/mpage_.../tm.htm#350599)

To answer your question...

If you don't mind getting your hands dirty and the risk that it could potentially cost you a few hundred dollars more to get it running (assuming the o-rings don't fix the problem). Then go for it. But if you shy away from engine work or don't have a buddy to help and or limited on funds...then I say, tread with caution.

EDIT: I should note...I have only about 100 miles riding experience!

Old 08-29-2007, 11:26 AM

my bet is on the petcock...leaking fluid into the carbs causing the fuel to run over...does the petcock 'click' through the positions or does it just spin with no known position??? ...get a new petcock (FYI: you can use the cheaper petcock. Just plug the line from Carb #1 and use the $40 petcock and not the $140 petcock. Do not get a used one!!!) The carbs need to be cleaned if it's sat that long...get them cleaned and sync'd

Don't know the mileage, but, how can you go wrong with $1000 for a bike with a clean title...probably is the carbs and petcock...

Old 08-29-2007, 01:11 PM

Thanks very much for the information thus far.

Mileage: 51k
The seller says
"Please remember you will have to spend about $80 on the carb parts and $250 on the fuel petcock valve to get
this bike running."

Here's a couple of pictures of the bike.

Let me know. Thanks!