CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Odd new problem with starting in the morning....

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 06:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd new problem with starting in the morning....

When my bike is warm (sitting in the sun) it will start right up... Normally in the morning, I give a bit of choke, it revs, I keep the rpms up until it's warm, and all is swell... Well, the past 2 mornings when I got off work, I would start it normally, and then after about a minute of running at about 2.5 - 3k it just sputters and dies.... I believe it to somehow be flooded, as if I wait long enough it'll start right up... I know my mix is really rich, could that be the reason? Also, if so, how do you set the mix? For some reason the search function is giving me hassles when I try to search (it won't find anything I type into it...), so if it's been posted, please excuse the duplicate post....

Thanks in advance!

Dave

Old 06-30-2007, 06:50 AM
Default RE: Odd new problem with starting in the morning....

Oh, and about using the choke when starting... I only keep it on for a second when it starts.... Not for long at all... Wanted to clarify...

Dave

Old 06-30-2007, 07:45 PM

Where do you live? I live in TX and I have to use the choke whenever I start my bike after it has been sitting for more than 5 hours. The newer bikes don't have our problem (fuel injection) but I think your problem is normal. I've found that the carbs on our bikes are very tempermental, and if they're not sync'd or jett'd right, they don't like to run right. So with that, you may have a sync/jetting problem. Also, if your bike has sat for a whlie, your carbs might be gummed up.

Old 07-01-2007, 06:39 AM

I think I was more wondering if I were running pretty rich if that could cause the symptoms above.... Hmmm... The questions are abundant and elusive when you have no clue what you're talking about ... And I am very new to the carb thing... HA!

Well.... This morning I got off work and everything went as normal... I know the carbs are gunked pretty good... But when it's nice and sunny out (Florida, btw) in the late afternoons, it just fires right up... No choke or anything...

Long story short, I decided that this week is the carb clean week that I've been having to do for a month and a half now... Guess I was just hoping for a solution that didn't require me to dismantle a bunch of stuff.... Ah, the beauty of laziness... Hehe.

Thanks for the post, tho!

Dave

Old 07-01-2007, 10:20 AM

If you know the mixture is rich, take care of that first and then see how the bike works. Also inspect all hoses and vacuum lines.