CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

New member with a cbr project

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 08:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by churny
Managed to get a 2nd hand frame for £42 delivered so the rebuild is on.

I'm off work mon/tues so hope to get stuck into sorting the new frame. Ive ordered the swinging arm bearing kit and want to get stuck in. Think I will keep a running total of the costs just to see what it ends up at. Current total inc bike £665 ( best not let the wife see this )

The plan is now a total restoration, my OCD could be tested
its always cheaper to have another bike/frame
u just swap everything off .
I did the same in 2015 after my gpz500 got written off (cat C) and was glad I did

Attached Thumbnails New member with a cbr project-fb_img_1480263733551_ink_li.jpg  
Old 03-06-2017, 10:59 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Good luck with the rebuild

If that's a steel frame, I'd make sure to get it painted/nice and tidy before rushing to swap parts over.

If your OCD is anything like mine, you'll loose sleep over it in the long run if you don't do it now

Old 03-06-2017, 02:02 PM

moved on a bit today, the frame they sent was the wrong one but mine will be here tomorrow.

Had a good look around the bike and I'm quite pleased. Some interesting repairs, the thermostat housing was leaking so rather than replace the o ring they used some sort of epoxy filler then covered the whole thing with some sort of silicone. I got a new housing and thermostat for £12.

Removed the rear hugger and that has been badly painted, to be fair so has most of the bike. Most of the plastic parts have badly chewed lugs etc so I have ordered a plastic repair kit and my plan is to completely fill all the fixing points and then re-drill them.

My big issue is should I attempt to remove the exhaust studs from the head, they don't look too bad and I would like to fit stainless steel. Any idea if they snap what the cost is and can I just take the engine to someone while its out ?

Current total £680

Old 03-11-2017, 11:57 AM

Have decided to have the new frame and swinging arm blasted only £50 so a no brainer. However the removal of the swinging arm bearings defeated me, so it is away getting done now.
cant really get much done until its all blasted so I have turned to the rear shock. Its not in bad shape but the dust seal was snapped, can these be replaced ? Can you compress the springs disassemble, clean and add a new dust seal ?

Have decided to put my big boy pants on and just go for it with the exhaust studs

Few bits and bobs together with the shot blasting, means total now £765

Old 03-16-2017, 12:35 PM

Still waiting for the swinging arm to come back without the bearings so it can be blasted.

have decided to paint the wheels and fit new rubber, they have previously been painted badly. I have binned the chain but the sprockets appear new. However I may change them to alter the gearing.

managed to get a replacement seat for a bargain £11 and together with some exhaust studs takes the spend to £801

Not sure recording the spend is a good idea at least I'm getting the bike sorted my way, OCD is expensive

Old 03-16-2017, 01:28 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Where are the progress pics?

Old 03-21-2017, 12:15 PM

big day today, frame and swinger blasted. coat of dinitrol on the swinger prior to hammerite smooth satin black.
Having a play with some of the plastics that need a repair, and really feeling good about the project.
Tomorrow is another day off so plenty of pics will be taken, feel the build starts now.

anyone got an exhaust ? they want to get rid of........ otherwise its expensive for me......... full akrapovic system

Old 03-21-2017, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by churny
big day today, frame and swinger blasted. coat of dinitrol on the swinger prior to hammerite smooth satin black.
Having a play with some of the plastics that need a repair, and really feeling good about the project.
Tomorrow is another day off so plenty of pics will be taken, feel the build starts now.

anyone got an exhaust ? they want to get rid of........ otherwise its expensive for me......... full akrapovic system
i purchased a F4i exhaust not realising it was differant to my f3 but 15 mins of looking at where i needed to chop then 2 mins with my grinder sorted it as long as your downpipes are ok

Old 07-15-2017, 08:24 AM

Well the project has finally moved on....

I decide to just clean the engine as I know it runs OK and if I started messing with it the project would never get on the road. I plan on rebuilding another engine with a few tweaks in the winter.

I have used a f4 rear shock as mine was knackered and for £35 it was a cheap upgrade. Having searched on the internet I cant see how the shock will raise the rear by the large amount some people say as its only 15mm longer that the f2. I know the length of the swinging arm makes the change greater but I cant see it making that much of a difference ? unless you guys know better. The one problem I have had is that the reservoir hose hit the coolant bottle so I have had to turn the shock so that the reservoir sits on the left of the bike. I still have no idea how I will mount it.

I stripped and combined two looms so I have now have one with no cuts or alterations.

The plan was to spray my wheels black however whilst looking for brake discs I came across a set of black powder coated wheels with new brake discs and a newish bridgestone front tyre £90. I should have them early next week if OK it should save some time painting mine.

Attached Thumbnails New member with a cbr project-img_1114.jpg   New member with a cbr project-img_1142.jpg   New member with a cbr project-img_1143.jpg   New member with a cbr project-img_1146.jpg   New member with a cbr project-img_1148.jpg  

Old 07-15-2017, 08:29 AM

Can anyone tell me where the rubber heat shield sits at the front of the bike and which wires go through the clips ? a picture would be great there wasn't one on my bike so I bought one but no idea how it fits

Quick Reply: New member with a cbr project