New to forum.Question about 94 cbr fi2

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 11:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New to forum.Question about 94 cbr fi2

ORIGINAL: Hurricane rider

ORIGINAL: Hershey

Another thing,

When you get to the carbs, take the float bowl and slide cover bolts (Phillips head) to a hardware store and replace them with Allen head bolts (get identical thread pitch and size).

The standard Phillips head bolts are very soft and tend to strip out very easily, replacing these will save you from many headaches!
I still need to do this, but this is a VERY IMPORTANT part if you like being able to take your carburetors apart, ever.

also, regardless of appearance, ALL BRAKE FLUID MUST BE FLUSHED if its been sitting for a few years. all manner of nasty crap builds up in that stuff over time and just, yeah. you probably much like me, want your brakes to function when you need em.

if you havent opened the fuel tank yet, after 6months to 2 years or more, if theres gas in there, it will SMELL BAD. trust me, dont open it inside an enclosed area, do so outside then expect rust inside your tank. dont ask how I know either of those two.
I see exactly what you meant I stripped one of them Phillips head screws while taken it apart.i had to get a vise grips and turn it out that way.You can count on my getting allen screws first thing tomorrow morning haha..thanks on that But yes once i actualy got in the carbs the SMELL ****ing hit it.I was vomited it was gross.all gunked up with brown **** in there.Looking good now after some carb cleaner.Is there a "how to" on here anywhere about bleeding brakes im not really sure how.I do have an idea tho and know its a 2 person job.But believe it or not.there is NO!!! rust after the bike sitting so long.NO RUST at all in the tank not one drop.the tank was just about full and in a heated garage the hole time.but thats already drained

ORIGINAL: Hershey

The jets you have are not stock, the stock size is Keihin 135... The 126's you have are Dynojet, it should have aftermarket needles and springs also.

I guess you can't really tell :P

thats good to know.saves me money going out to buy the jet kit.haha but yes the jets springs and needles all look really good still shine.

But hey guys I once hear heard that you can Actualy boil your carbs on the stove in hot water to clean them.Is this true.If so how do you approach that.And for how long do you keep them on there.Is it more efficitive then carb cleaner?

Old 11-21-2008, 11:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't recommend boiling them, but in the past people have done it with water and powdered "tide" detergent...

The boiling can remove the corrosion resistant coating, that's why I would stick with carb cleaner and compressed air... I'd leave boiling as a last resort.

If you do boil them, you have to completely disassemble the carbs and remove all rubber bits and pieces...

Old 11-21-2008, 11:18 PM

yea good point.to much of a hassle.Ill just blast it with some carb cleaner and compressed air.I dont wanna mess with the jets tho.i should be alright if i leave them in and clean it right?.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:44 PM

yeah, you should be. Personally, I'd remove the pilot jets and clean them outside the bike so you dont push anything down into the carbs farther.

Old 11-22-2008, 01:17 AM

I take the jets out when I clean my carbs, make sure to chase every tiny little passageway with carb cleaner and compressed air, that's the important part - not just getting the visible crap off.

Just in case it's not common sense, remove the slides and floats before blasting compressed air through the carbs... The pressure can damage the rubber diaphragm on the slide, and the floats are just plastic so high pressure air can also cause those to break.

Old 11-22-2008, 01:20 AM

yea i get what yous are saying I have clean carbs before on my gsxr Just never touched the jets I didnt wanna **** anything up..Another question the cover on the left side it says honda.well its alil Scuffed up i sanded it where it was scuffed at and want to paint it and put clear on it.Is it safe to take that off?not that springs or anything else is gonna come flying off.i cant think today What casing is that?does that get hot would i have to use High temp paint.I wouldnt think so its only the case right?its on the left side sitting on the bike down by the shifter

Old 11-22-2008, 01:24 AM

That's the stator cover, you'll need to replace the gasket if you remove it, and drain the oil first.

It has an electrical piece attached to the inside of the cover you'll have to carefully remove from the cover and be very careful with it... It's part of your charging system and is not cheap.

Old 11-22-2008, 01:32 AM

ok then i dont wanna mess with that either Will it be safe if i tape off around it to just paint it while its on the bike?

Old 11-22-2008, 01:54 AM

Yeah I don't see why not, worst case scenario you get a little overspray that eventually gets covered in road grime

Make sure you clean the area you're painting really well with solvent or something that evaporates, might want to scuff it up with really fine emery cloth also... give the paint something to stick to.