CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Need help please, strange noise and rhythmic vibration while coasing.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 10:48 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

You can't really over service a chain. A clean and lubed chain is a happy chain!

I'd do mine more frequently if I didn't leave so early and get home so late. It has to wait until the weekend. I usually give it a little spray after a only a few days, and a good cleaning once a week, if I ride it a lot.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:50 PM
Welcome Crew
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with you 74. I usually do mine on lunch, about two or three times a week minimum. Of course I live on a dirt road, so I'm a lil hyper paranoid.

Old 01-23-2014, 02:50 PM
June 2013 ROTM

Originally Posted by 74demon
You can't really over service a chain. A clean and lubed chain is a happy chain!
Well, you can. If you service your chain more than you service your wife, you're going to have a bad time...

Old 01-23-2014, 03:38 PM
Welcome Crew Technician

Originally Posted by HOWtheWESTwasFUN
Ok so its official im a dummy, and it just needed lube. Bike rode fine today.....i feel silly.

And no it was definitely not 6k dry. i usually clean inspect and lube the bike monthly, but work has been crazy and 70 hour work weeks have have made me a lazy man these past few months. Turns out machines don't care and need to be properly maintained. I should know better, no excuses.

So i guess my next course of action would be to check the chain for stretch, PossibleF4I i am familiar with shark finning on the sprockets from cycling and do keep an eye out for it. Also, I have a tool that will check a bicycle chain for stretch and was wondering if there was something similar for motorcycles? Or could i just grab a pair of calipers and measure that way?
Not positive on the bike chain working for a motorcycle. A few things you can do that can give you a good indication. Put both hands on chain and litterly pull it apart and push back together. Does it move a lot? There should really be not much if any give this way (side to side). If you are able to pull the chain off with a breaker tool or a master link, lay it on the floorand lift up. Does chain lift in fluid motion or do the links tend to stick together (usually do to lube not being present.) You can measure from pin to pin, your measuremnt should be 5/8 of an inch. If you are using a 520 chain. or 25 or 30. If you do get it off, hold it up in the air and shake it, a good chain will not rattle, a stretched chain will rattle.

Should give you a good idea of what the condition is. Also, not sure if your bike has the actual indicator on the swingarm by the adjusters but it should say the wear on it. If no indicators then work off of how far back your adjustors are, all the way back indicates maxium adjust and shows you need to replace. Of course the sprocket check as well, if its not rounding over then your chain is probably decent. Since it is the stretching chain that causes the rounding off.

Good luck.

-Poss

Old 01-23-2014, 05:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Copy that. weekly preventative maintenance starts now.

@possibleF4I I am fairly positive the chain wear indicator for my bicycle will not work for a motorcycle chain. Heres a link to the tool. It's a pretty ingenious design and I am surprised no one makes one for motorcycles.
I checked the sprocket and it looks fine, ill give the chain a fairly decent once over tomorrow during lunch. I won't be able to take it off or anything until the weekend though. As for now, lube solved the immediate issue. Im gonna order up a fresh chain, and really dig in this sunday.

Thanks again guys and or girls, you've been tons of help. I really appreciate how awesome and welcoming the community here has been!