CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Need help please, strange noise and rhythmic vibration while coasing.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 01:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help please, strange noise and rhythmic vibration while coasing.

Hi all, i've searched and found nothing of use., im thinking i am having a hard time putting in the right key words to find my answer.

Any way, the issue started the other day after i got off the freeway. I noticed that when i pulled the clutch lever and was coasting i was both feeling and hearing a rhythmic low "knock" or "tick" in my foot peggs. The noise and vibration seem to go away under power but come come back again while coasting or engine breaking. The noise and vibration goes away while stopped, and it also does NOT happen while revving the engine with the clutch lever pulled or in neutral. It will also speed up while coasting at higher speeds, and also feels stronger on the left foot peg.

Please lay you knowledge on me, so i can asess and fix this issue promptly. the bike is my daily driver and i have no other vehicle for transportation.

Thank you all for your time and consideration.

Old 01-22-2014, 03:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How loose is your chain, it could be slapping something that transmits the virbration to the left peg. How old is your chain, could be wore out/binding, wanting to stay round after it goes over the sprocket then snaps straight.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:28 AM
June 2013 ROTM

I'm with frank. check to make sure everything is in order with your chain and sprockets. Failing that, I'd check your wheel bearings.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:07 AM

Hey guys, thank you for the swift replies!

i checked the chain and the tension seemed fine. I've had it on the bike for around 6k miles now. there was a tiny bit play in my rear wheel though, maybe a mil or so at most. is this normal?

I didn't have the time or light to check out the drive sprocket but the rear looks to be fine. I did however spend some time searching some more last night and it was suggested in another thread that a dry chain may bind and cause issues while coasting, i would say my chain qualified as dry and tacky.

so i lubed, waited, and wiped the chain a couple times then took her out for a quick spin up and down my road. it seemed better but it was hard to tell without really getting her going.

Hopefully this absolves the issue, ill get back to you at either my lunch today or this evening. Thanks again!

Old 01-22-2014, 10:28 AM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm with the guys above - I can almost 100% guarantee that you are either experiencing a binding chain link, which may be resolved simply enough with a thorough clean and lube, or one of the three bearing sets on your rear wheel hub/sprocket carrier are going out.

If the chain hasn't been properly cleaned, lubed, and adjusted for proper slack, in quite a while, you should start there.
If this doesn't resolve the issue, put the bike on a rear stand, loosen the axle nut and chain adjusters, and scoot the wheel forward so you can slowly rotate the chain around, and see if any links are still binding... if you still have some binding links, even after a good clean and lube, then the chain has had it, and it's time for a replacement.
If the chain is fine, then it's wheel bearing replacement time!

Good luck!

Old 01-22-2014, 03:33 PM
Welcome Crew Technician

Geez man, and 6k miles, lets hope that wasnt 6k dry. Lube and chain maint. in general is a necessity in engine operation. All kinds of things can be thrown out of wack by neglecting proper maint. Tire alignment needs checked. This can eventully cause your bearings to fail in the hub. The tire would be wearing differently. As stated above push wheel forward and check gappage between links. Does it rattle? Loose in effect? Chain should be fluid but tight also. 6k miles is a while to be riding and its more than likely at least the o-rings are shot on it. What happens is your chain starts to stretch. When it does the gap increases between the pins and the chain can no longer effectivly rest in between the teeth on the sprocket. This gives you the curled over effect of sprockets. You said you glanced, check good, closely.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:17 PM

Ok so its official im a dummy, and it just needed lube. Bike rode fine today.....i feel silly.

And no it was definitely not 6k dry. i usually clean inspect and lube the bike monthly, but work has been crazy and 70 hour work weeks have have made me a lazy man these past few months. Turns out machines don't care and need to be properly maintained. I should know better, no excuses.

So i guess my next course of action would be to check the chain for stretch, PossibleF4I i am familiar with shark finning on the sprockets from cycling and do keep an eye out for it. Also, I have a tool that will check a bicycle chain for stretch and was wondering if there was something similar for motorcycles? Or could i just grab a pair of calipers and measure that way?

Old 01-22-2014, 11:59 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by HOWtheWESTwasFUN
i usually clean inspect and lube the bike monthly...
Monthly?!? It should be lubed every 500 miles. If it sits for a few weeks or more, it should be cleaned and lubed before you take it out. Dirt and dust will stick to a chain, even when sitting.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:03 AM
July 2013 ROTM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by coalminer frank
how loose is your chain, it could be slapping something that transmits the virbration to the left peg. How old is your chain, could be wore out/binding, wanting to stay round after it goes over the sprocket then snaps straight.
+1000 on the chain

Old 01-23-2014, 10:23 AM

@74demon the bike never sits unless im out of town. Also I worked out my commute and the bike sees right around 640 miles a month. Ill stick to the 500 mile rule from here on out. thank you for replying to my post i appreciate you chiming in.

Quick Reply: Need help please, strange noise and rhythmic vibration while coasing.