CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

My F2 CBR 600

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 12:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My F2 CBR 600

Hey I'm Scott! I've been lurking here for a few weeks while I was getting my CBR up and running correctly. I bought this bike about 6-7 weeks ago, and when I bought it had no idea what project I was getting myself into.
When I first got it:

The seller assured me all kinds of things, like the carbs where ok just needed adjusting (bs), the electrics where fixed (bs), ran good (bs), etc... So me just being excited and tired of riding a bicycle to work decided jumped on it. Thankfully it was season here (South Florida) and I was making decent money to fund this project. So after having the carbs rebuilt from a professional local shop ($1000 )I ran into a electric issue and a cam rattle issue. Thankfully for this site I figured it all out. Replaced the stator and gasket, R&R and purchased a new battery and that was solved along with the cam chain tensioner fixing the rattle. During all this the body needed work so I completely replaced it and replaced all the makeshift faring bolts with matching new nuts and bolts specifically for the F2. Had a petcock leak so I replaced that with a used F2 petcock. Replaced the fuel lines since they weren't the OEM lines. Replaced the mirrors since they weren't the original, just some fake Carbon Fiber knock offs, sooo replaced them also. Here's the condition it's in now and running strong too:

Anyways still have more to go:
New clutch lever and cables(worn)
New throttle grips and cables(worn)
New brake levers(cheap CF knock off snapped) and cables(worn)
OEM Motor mount(one missing) and fuel vent lines are on the way.
New slip on since that one has damage from taking a fall
Powercoating the rims, silver lip with black spokes, or completely replacing them.
New leather for seat.
Replace some pieces in the gauge cluster.
Another job with the cam sprockets and chain done eventually

Thanks for checking it out, and any input or suggestions you can throw out would be truly welcomed!

Cheers,
Scott

Old 05-06-2013, 12:26 PM

Forgot to add I think I over-payed for this bike at $1600, but at this point I'm glad I got it out of the hands of the previous owner. Also there was no Air filter in it when I bought it apparently, so hello K&N!

Old 05-06-2013, 01:21 PM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks good, Scott, welcome to the forum.

I ran that aftermarket body kit myself, until recently...it was my favorite color/graphics scheme out there.

What parts do you need in the gauge cluster? I'm going to have some of these items available soon.

Last edited by JNSRacing; 05-14-2013 at 01:28 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Bouttreefidy
Forgot to add I think I over-payed for this bike at $1600, but at this point I'm glad I got it out of the hands of the previous owner. Also there was no Air filter in it when I bought it apparently, so hello K&N!
Considering you just spent so much on the carb work, I would think twice about the K&N - if you go that route, you'll probably have to do further work, changing the main jets, and tuning all the fueling circuits - going with an OEM-type paper filter would be much simpler, assuming the carbs are setup with stock specs... I don't suppose you know what size mains are in there now, do you?

Did the shop happen to give you a detailed invoice for what all they did to the carbs? Unless they replaced a lot of parts, and I mean HARD parts, not gaskets, they seriously overcharged you!

Old 05-06-2013, 10:38 PM

Thanks for the reply! Just a heads up since I screwed up in the original post it's a 1994. Anyways I've had the K&N filter in there for a few weeks now without and issue but if you suggest OEM I can go that route. As for the invoice you asked for, here is what they said "Carbs needed to be cleaned and rebuilt. Rebuilt all four carbs with new gaskets and o-rings, float valves and new top and bottom screws." I paid $100 for diagnoses of the bike and $600 in labor ($99 an hour) and $225.16 in parts, $16 in shop supplies and of course sales tax put it just under $1000. The only reason I had them do it is I don't trust myself to anything near the carbs or engine yet. Only when I have another reliable vehicle will I take my time with that. I runs great now of course, but with a price to pay. Other shops that might have been a bit cheap had 2 week waits and I really didn't want to deal with that.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:47 AM

Gotcha... do you have any problem with the bike stuttering somewhere above roughly 7500 RPM, in 2nd, 3rd, or 4th gear? Can you hit redline quickly in any/all of those gears?

If the bike does pull hard in that upper range (7500 - redline), then it's possible that a previous owner already made some jetting changes, to accomodate a similar "hi-flow" filter that he/she had installed as well, so, "if it ain't broke"...

Old 05-07-2013, 02:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nicely done, mate! Really like your bike. One question though, I've been meaning to replace my cam chain tensioner with the APE version for ever, but tomorrow I have the mandatory control by the authorities that has to be done every two years so I have intentionally left it just to be able to say that it is more or less original. Except for the exhaust system which might be a problem due to the 103 dB limit here in Sweden. Anyways, my question is regarding the replacement of the CCT. I read in a forum that someone messed his bike up pretty badly by not putting the pistons in a certain position before he tensed the thing, so that he skipped a cog so to speak. Did you do that or did you just replace it without removing airbox, carbs and so on?

Old 05-08-2013, 12:03 AM

AS for replacing the CCT I took the old off and (with the help and knowledge of my father and some internet reading) I just put and adjustable one on and my father adjusted it till he felt the proper tension. Now the proper way to do it is not the way i did it. You should remove the right engine case cover and turn the crank shaft slowly clockwise, while adjusting the tensioner(so i'm told). You should know the slack is gone with the bolt doesn't turn easily.

Old 05-08-2013, 12:04 AM

And thanks for the appreciation for my baby!

Old 05-12-2013, 04:00 PM

JNS Now that you mentioned the stutter I do notice a tiny bit of stutter when going into 5th or sometimes when I'm running about 6-7500 rpms in 4th gear but I feel like it could be the wind giving a bit or resistance against the bike, is that normal? You think that could be attributed to the intake? And another thing I'm just started getting a click noise when engine breaking. I have a feeling it might be the CCT needing an adjustment. I did tighten the CCT just full turn and the issue is still there. Any help on this?

Also in other news I got the left motor mount and the OEM fuel vent lines installed. So thats done!

Last edited by Bouttreefidy; 05-12-2013 at 04:04 PM.