Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 01:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice work!

Old 05-14-2013, 02:52 PM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bouttreefidy
JNS Now that you mentioned the stutter I do notice a tiny bit of stutter when going into 5th or sometimes when I'm running about 6-7500 rpms in 4th gear but I feel like it could be the wind giving a bit or resistance against the bike, is that normal? You think that could be attributed to the intake?
It's true, that sometimes when you're at a steady throttle, it can seem like the motor is cutting out, or stuttering, when you encounter heavy wind resistance, but what you need to be looking for, is a consistent stuttering condition, like the bike is kind of "falling on its face", when your're at WOT (wide open throttle) going from mid-range RPMs to redline - when I say consistent, I mean like it seems you always struggle to get to the high RPMs.

Usually, when a bike is lean in the main jet circuit, you'll notice a stutter at about 7500 RPM or so, when your rolling along, let's say at 4000 to 5000 RPM in 3rd gear, and you pin the throttle trying to wind it all the way up - typically you would experience the same thing in 4th and 5th, though you'd be really "hauling the mail", if your experimenting with this in 5th.

Also, if your lean there, it's not just that there will be a stutter that hits, and you just push through it, but usually, you'll just find it very difficult to even get past 7000 to 8000 RPM, or if you do, it will seem to take forever and you'll never approach redline... if the bike is tuned right, you should be able to really rip it up, and the tach needle should be sweeping your gauge very quickly from mid-range to redline, as you bang through the gears.

And another thing I'm just started getting a click noise when engine breaking. I have a feeling it might be the CCT needing an adjustment. I did tighten the CCT just full turn and the issue is still there. Any help on this?
Well, you said your father got that adjusted for you, but if it's "out of whack" already, maybe the locknut wasn't tightened enough? Or it wasn't adjusted properly? Do you still have the tell-tale rattling noise, when you're just running the bike, and blip the throttle, where the noise happens as soon as the throttle's let off?

Anyway, if it is indeed the CCT, then maybe it's still not adjusted right - I personally do not recommend a manual CCT for anyone who's unsure of their mechanical abilities, because you do have to periodically adjust it, and if it gets too far out of adjustment, you can turn your motor into scrap metal. For the record, I'm not saying that you're unsure of your mechanical abilities, I'm just saying that anyone that runs one of these, needs to understand the risk, and know that it's not something you can install, and just forget about!

The simplest way to adjust them, is to put it on, turn the bolt with just your fingers, until you can't anymore, which is just a starting point, then lock the bolt, and fire up the bike - if the noise is there, turn the bolt in until it dissipates, then 1/4 turn more, and lock it up - if the noise is gone upon the first start-up, with just the finger tightening, then back it out until the noise returns, turn it in again until it goes away, and again, a final 1/4 turn and secure the bolt with the lock nut.

It's true that you can be a touch more precise with the "initial" setting, by removing the pulse generator cover and rotating the crank manually, while turning in the CCT bolt until you feel the difference in the ease of rotation, but I have never personally done this... for me, going "finger tight" is just fine.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:03 AM

[QUOTE=JNSRacing;1232512]
It's true, that sometimes when you're at a steady throttle, it can seem like the motor is cutting out, or stuttering, when you encounter heavy wind resistance, but what you need to be looking for, is a consistent stuttering condition, like the bike is kind of "falling on its face", when your're at WOT (wide open throttle) going from mid-range RPMs to redline - when I say consistent, I mean like it seems you always struggle to get to the high RPMs.
It's not a surge like I experienced before having the carbs done, it's just a slight jerk here and there, maybe it's all in my head . I have no problem reaching redline and all that smoothly.

Well, you said your father got that adjusted for you, but if it's "out of whack" already, maybe the locknut wasn't tightened enough? Or it wasn't adjusted properly? Do you still have the tell-tale rattling noise, when you're just running the bike, and blip the throttle, where the noise happens as soon as the throttle's let off?
We had the rattle noise initially with the auto (I'm assuming "orginal") CCT so I put on the manual CCT given to me by the seller of the bike, and the rattling is now gone. I have no problem getting in there adjust the CCT but like you put I don't want my motor turing to scrap metal. I want to purchase a OEM cct so I don't have to worry about adjusting but for now I got this. I'm gonna give the chain another lube to see if that's possibly the issue also! Thanks for the help too JNS!

Old 05-15-2013, 10:20 AM

Thanks for the help too JNS!
No worries Scott, that's what we do up in hyahh!

Old 05-18-2013, 12:29 PM

Word! Wanted to add a little update about the clicking noise. I noticed the chain was looking a little dry so I went and bought some chain lube and whadya kno the clicking is no longer there. Very glad that's out of the way. And on another note I've been watching some of those Isle of Man TT Races, good god I have a lot of respect for those guys!

Old 05-18-2013, 02:33 PM

Word! Wanted to add a little update about the clicking noise. I noticed the chain was looking a little dry so I went and bought some chain lube and whadya kno the clicking is no longer there. Very glad that's out of the way. And on another note I've been watching some of those Isle of Man TT Races, good god I have a lot of respect for those guys!
Yeah, a drive chain without good lube will make a "clickety-clacking" sound as well, but I thought we had established that the noise was on the right side of the bike!?
Anyway, I'm glad to hear it is that simple, but just so you know, once you get the chain to the point where it's making that clicking noise, lubing it up to make it go away will only stave it off for a short time - you should have a new chain on hand and ready for when that one goes!

On the Isle of Man TT subject... that is the most amazing racing you can ever watch!! I keep up with a lot of racing series, AMA, MotoGP, World Supersport, Superbike, and Superstock, and the British Superbike series, but the races I look forward to the most, every year, are the Isle of Man TT races! I've got the Isle of Man TT Review DVDs for a lot of years, and I especially love re-watching the Blu-Ray ones on my 52"!!

I would really love to make that a vacation some year, going to the TT!

Old 05-19-2013, 09:57 AM

Lol I honestly couldn't figure out what side THAT clicking noise was coming from but I'm happy it's gone! I will get a new chained lined up just in case, any suggestions?

That must be crazy watching on the 52 inch! I try to watch them on youtube with my 40 inch, it's just amazing how quick these guys react on these roads! I've watched a bit of racing but nothing draws me like the TT has so far. I wondering if they will stream live during the 2013 TT next week.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:21 PM

Lol I honestly couldn't figure out what side THAT clicking noise was coming from but I'm happy it's gone! I will get a new chained lined up just in case, any suggestions?
In my opinion, D.I.D. is the best - I won't run anything else, but there are other good brands out there, i.e., EK, RK, Regina, Renthal...

...I wondering if they will stream live during the 2013 TT next week.
Well, next week is just practice, the racing is in the first week of June, but if they even streamed that last year, I wasn't aware of it. It's sad - they used to show it on Discovery's HD Theater (Velocity), but didn't last year, and I'm not sure if they will this year, either.

I've been searching things out, and I can't find any information on live streaming, or even re-airing of the races, at this point.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:28 PM

K ill check those out, and I might have found a site doing livestreams! Isle of Man TT on Livestream. Is what I found so far so we will see! It's got the dates and times that it's airing. I had to sign up and follow other channels but so far it's legit. If it is I can't wait till June 1st!

Last edited by Bouttreefidy; 05-19-2013 at 12:32 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:02 AM

K ill check those out, and I might have found a site doing livestreams! Isle of Man TT on Livestream. Is what I found so far so we will see! It's got the dates and times that it's airing. I had to sign up and follow other channels but so far it's legit. If it is I can't wait till June 1st!
Yeah, I found that this weekend also, and signed up, and I'm hoping that it will work out.

Also, someone else posted, and I don't remember where, that they saw a promo on Velocity (formerly HD Theater), that they are doing next day coverage of each race, which would be fantastic, if true, since IOM is 6 hours ahead of us, and I'm not keen on getting up before 6am on a Saturday!! Not to mention, with streaming, you have to be watching at the moment, or you miss it, and during some of the race times, I will be at work - if Velocity does do next-day coverage, I could just record it on the DVR.
That would mean, however, that one would have to avoid any online motorcycle news sources from each day to the next, so there's no spoilers!

Anyway, I haven't confirmed this thing with Velocity myself, but I'm going to tune into that channel tonight, when I get off work and leave it there until I hear something about it!

Last edited by JNSRacing; 05-21-2013 at 11:05 AM.