CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

my charging (voltage regulator) solution

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 08:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my charging (voltage regulator) solution

just thought i'd post this here incase anyone else ishaving the same voltage regulator problem i did the day after i bought my f2.

here's how my voltage regulator acted when mine died...

bought bike, rode it about 30 mins back to where i was staying for that night, let it sit about an hour, started it and rode it again for a bit that night with no problems.
then when i went out to start it in the morning the starter barely rolled over at all...so i was sure it was electrical...so i push started it and rode it home 2 1/2hours, had to push start another time when i got gas.
i charged the battery to full and tested it with a load tester to see if it was good...it was. then i put it back on the bike and tested it while it was on and it was not acting like it should have been, at one point it was charging like it should have been, then it wasn't charging. i then went for a 5 min. ride with the tail plastics off just to see what the battery charge would be when i got back...when i got back i felt the regulator and it was hotter than hell...HOT, checked the battery and it had lost like 1 volt or 1.5 volts.

started looking at some stuff online and saw that people were putting suzuki regulators on because they have the cooling fins and are just a better product...got on ebay, bought a used suzuki regulator for $30

hope this helps...all the regulator does it regulate how much juice gets to your battery...i was told the stator can put out up to like 40 volts when you're running really high rpms...regulator stops it from ruining your battery.

brian

Old 10-16-2007, 09:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: my charging (voltage regulator) solution

There are tests for all the electrical components broken down by subsystem (like charging and ignition) in the Service Manual. Including on how to test the regulator with the multimeter and what you should be looking for at specific RPMs.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:39 AM
Banned

What model of Suzuki regulator did you get for it? Does it matter and are the connections the same?

Old 10-17-2007, 09:42 AM

woo545: ya...that'd have been sweet if i had a service manual, but it f'd up the day after i bought it, so had to go about things without it..we were 99% sure it was the reg after the tests we did anyway. been lookin at the haynes manuals on ebay for $25, heard good things about em.

eweppley: the regulator i got was off from a 1999 gsx-r 750 for $30. it doesn't matter what regulator you get as long as it has 5 wires. 3 of one color that go to the stator, 1 positive, 1 ground....this website helped a lot and explains it better than i can...

http://www.vlc.com.au/~justin/about/...g_replace.html

...the plugs don't match up, so you just have to hard wire it in. saved a lot of money, new one from honda was i think $100-110.