CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 600F2 (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f2-16/)
-   -   My 93 F2 project begins! (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f2-16/my-93-f2-project-begins-143489/)

campos_motorsports 03-29-2013 03:46 PM

I suppose maybe getting that swingarm sandblasted might be a cure to that corrosion, I dont know about over there, but here a swingarm on ebay, that I've seen go cheap is about $25-$50 which is not that bad. I thought you would have trouble with those bolts, you need to hammer those nuts (thats what she said!) on the sides or so and wd-40 them to get them loose, but then again if you want the easy way out is to just get a used swingarm and call it a day!?!?

To dismantle the whole bike I would start by taking off the whole wiring first that way you can get it out of the way. Then take off the triples and take the whole front end off. You would be left with a frame and a motor, from there decide what would be easier to do, I would say tie the frame to straps and pull the frame up so that way you wont have to move the engine from where ever you decide to leave it. Also take off the pipes first and sit the block of the engine somewhere safe. Post pics of progress to see how your doing, looks like you have the right route.

This is just the el cheapo way, some people might think I'm wrong but thats the way I would do it since I dont find a reason to have to buy a lift or engine stand.

richbransby 03-29-2013 05:25 PM

Thanks!
I made a start about 6 hours ago, I went to the local bike breakers, about 25 miles away, told them which bike I have and bought a new rear swing arm and suspension spring, both in excellent condition, got them back home, cleaned them up so that were like new and went outside to the bike, and boom, wrong ones -.-
Couldnt be more upset!
I got them both cheap Aswell, £70, which I think is about $85!
Anyway, I've got pics to show you why it's wrong but this is off my iPhone so can't upload hem just yet.
Carried on removing things. I took off the radiator and fan, both corroded to high hell (plenty of pics to follow) and started trying to her the downpipes off, now, when you see the pictures, you'll understand just how big of a task this is! I've managed to get three bolts off so far, and losened the others as much as possible and left them covered in WD-40 over night to try and get them off tomorrow.

This project is taking alot more time, costing alot more money, and proving harder than I expected it to be! But I've got to say... I'm loving it!

campos_motorsports 03-29-2013 06:50 PM

Cant you return the swing arm? I mean I havent seen pictures of how off it is but if he gave you the wrong part since you told him what bike you have?

For the ones left, try to get get a tube that will fit the end of the ratchet so you get more leverage and it should break them loose, I almost always use my car jacks tube. Your almost definitely gonna have to replace every stud/screw the bike has to make things easier in the future.

Well the good thing is you still have potential to keep tackling this bike, alot of people give up or something. Looks like the bike needs time, but if your in no rush you should be good. Though its weird how one creates a bond over a bike/car and you just cant get rid of it.

richbransby 04-01-2013 12:59 PM

Hi guys, small update with pictures to follow tomorrow probably, ( having major issues with my WI-FI now so cant really upload them at home)

Spent the last few days with the bike, taking her apart more and more, at the moment, all thats left to dismantle is front forks, and basically take the engine out of the frame.

Really struggled getting the headers off, they were rusted on real bad, and when they did come off they just fell to pieces, so they need replacing.
The rear swing arm was a real mess but after a few hours with degreaser and elbow grease it looks alot better, im thinking that after a good sand blast and powder coat it might be ok without replacing.

The bike is up on bricks now and still looking pretty sorry for its self. Must say though, Never done anything like this before, Im 22 and I work as a sales man, Doing something like this is quite a challenge and im petrified that it wont start again when its all back together! aha.

richbransby 04-01-2013 01:06 PM

Oh, i got a new rear suspension off the dealers, but its got a slightly different part number, the bolt holes seem to match up but the spring it self seems a different size, does anyone know if it will fit :)?

richbransby 04-01-2013 02:06 PM

13 Attachment(s)
Ok, Managed to get some photos up!

this is the New suspension spring i mentioned, not sure if it will fit though???
Attachment 33906

This is the new rear swing arm, but as you can see, it it the wrong one. Attachment 33907
I got it all cleaned up before i realised myself it was wrong
Attachment 33908
As you can see, alot different to the one thats fitted now!
Attachment 33909

shes abit of a mess mate!http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/v...ps9390c3ab.jpg

The original spring has seen better days!
http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/v...psfb18b716.jpg
Attachment 33910

Hopefully this shows why ive had such a problem with getting the headers off.
Attachment 33911
Attachment 33912

The radiator and fan are totally ruined! the fan literally fell apart in my hands!
Attachment 33913Attachment 33914
Attachment 33915
Attachment 33916
Attachment 33917

One hell of a list to complete!!
Attachment 33918

Lots more to follow guys just bare with me! :)

JNSRacing 04-01-2013 03:03 PM

Rich, when you went to buy this bike, did the owner have a lake on their property? If so, did they retrieve the bike from said lake?!? Perhaps after getting confused about which powersports unit was the bike, and which one was the jet-ski?!? :icon_eek: :icon_screwy: :icon_dopey:

richbransby 04-01-2013 03:03 PM

20 Attachment(s)
Heres the two springs, the fixing holes are the same, but the spring size is different? will this matter?
http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/v...psc9e6d25e.jpg
got the rear swing arm off, here is the difference between the new and the old, such a mess! As you can see, its completely different unfortunatly.
Attachment 33886
Attachment 33887
Attachment 33888
Attachment 33889

Started with the degreaser and left it to soak for awhile.
Attachment 33890

As you can see, problem with the downpipes, do you think it can be welded?? or replaced.
Attachment 33891

These heads are a complete mess as well...?
Attachment 33892
Attachment 33893
Attachment 33894
Attachment 33895
Attachment 33896
Attachment 33897
Attachment 33898
Attachment 33899

Got the Rear swing arm all cleaned up! bit of a difference from before! still needs alot of work but i think itll be ok after its been sand blasted and powder coated :)
Attachment 33900
Attachment 33901
Attachment 33902
Attachment 33903
Attachment 33904
Attachment 33905

And thats about it for now guys!

Tomorrows job, take off the front end and remove the wiring harness, get all the excess grinded off the frame and get that, the two wheels, and the rear axle off to the blasters!
Exciting times, its about time she got some loving! :)

Oh, if you notice anything that i havent please shout up!

richbransby 04-01-2013 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by JNSRacing (Post 1224885)
Rich, when you went to buy this bike, did the owner have a lake on their property? If so, did they retrieve the bike from said lake?!? Perhaps after getting confused about which powersports unit was the bike, and which one was the jet-ski?!? :icon_eek: :icon_screwy: :icon_dopey:

No, but you could be forgiven for thinking that! the bike was garaged when i went to view it, he said the previous owner had kept it outside.

Any advice on the spring???

JNSRacing 04-01-2013 03:53 PM

I can tell you that if your bike is a '93, then neither shock is original, as there was no external reservoir until '94, and those same shocks (like the '94 with the reservoir) were also used on the '95-'96 F3 as well - I'm not certain about what you've got there, but my guess is that one of those shocks is of the '94-'96 vintage, and the other one is from a '97-'98 model F3, or newer model.
I don't know if there's any difference in the spring rate, or internals, but since the nicer looking shock appears to have more spring travel (assuming the preload is set equally between the two), you could always try it I guess!

My bikes are both pre-'94, so one is the OEM shock, sans the reservoir, and the other is an aftermarket race shock, so I really don't have much familiarity with the attributes of those particular dudes that you've got... what are the part numbers on each shock?

On the swingarm, by the way, they sold you one from a '93-'94 CBR 1000F :icon_denk:... I'd be gettin' my money back on that bit!