CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

My 93 F2 project begins!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 06:16 PM
July 2013 ROTM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky
Man - In the states bikes don't typically come with center stands, but damn I want one for my bike.
i got one for my 92 on ebay...i think theres another one on there

Old 12-20-2012, 07:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok so just a small update at the moment.

Ordered and received this the other day. [IMG][/IMG]

New CCT, hasnt been fitted yet, as i rode the bike 2 & a half hours away from home to the paint garage.
Is currently under going prep on all the body work to be made beautiful so when i get up there again i fill fit whilst paneling is off, You might also be pleased to here that after the initial problems, the bike ran like a dream all the way, was very impressed.

Also, i have an 8 second video id like to post on here that a friend took of the bike as I passed him in the street.

ADVANCED WARNING
If this video is a breech of user terms or rights please tell me immediatly and i will take down, last thing i want to do is cause any issues.
THERE IS one swear word at the end of the video said by the recorder, the word is used twice and was said, i guess, in awe of the bike as i went passed, the only reason i want to show you is so you guys can hear the beautiful noise my exhaust makes that i get hear all the time, for a bike thats nearly 20 years old, i personally feel its brilliant.

Again, apologies if it offends or is not allowed, please inform me immediately.
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 12-20-2012, 12:56 PM

The video isn'thosted on this site, and you warned any potential viewer of the language. I don't see the harm.

The footage is of you riding your bike at what I'm sure is a responsible speed for the conditions given. Sounded like the speed limit to me - who am I to say you were exceeding, rite? Bike sounds good, glad to hear it is running well.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:52 AM

hi guys, sorry for the delay in progress. long story short, i changed my job, moved 300 miles away and had nearl all of my stuff in storage for the last couple of months, including the bike!
but, starting to get my feet back on the ground now and getting back round to sorting out the CBR.

So its undercover in a garage now and ive got most evenings to work on her, moneys abit tight so that is hindering progress but im making up for it with hard work and elbow grease.

The tail end of the bike has been a major bug bear of mine since i bought the bike, the plastic is all broken, sprayed with a rattle can in black and generally, just crap. so I started stripping it down.

When i took teh seat and the plastics off, this is what i found! :/

Some serious issues with rust. and the wiring to the rear lights, lets just say that it is Not satisfactory, ill let you judge for your self just how bad it is but i was quite shocked.
Name:  IMG_5442_zpsa5584145.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  69.0 KB
Name:  IMG_5446_zpsb90bd152.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  90.6 KB
Name:  IMG_5455_zps607c57fd.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  131.6 KB

So, now i need so advice please.
This is how the bike is currently sitting.

Ive got my self a load of sandpaper and some wire brushes. ( if i had the money id strip the whole thing down and have the frame sand blasted)
Im going to do my best to remove the rust and paint it myself.
I want to know, what kind of paint should i use??? should i treat the metal after its been sanded down?? Is there any kind of sealer i can put on it before i paint it to stop the rust from returning??

oh, bit of good news, i got a delivery of a 03 CBR RR tail end im going to fit to the bike to give it a slightly more sporty stance so im excited about that!
Cheers in advance.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:12 AM
June 2013 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As for the wiring - nothing I haven't seen before. It seems nobody knows how to solder anymore. Good thing is if you are putting in a new tail, you will need to wire that - so start fresh from there.

As for the rust, a good brass brush for the 18V drill should take care of that. I'd spray it with rustoleum after that. BUT, if you are fitting an RR tail you will probably have to cut/bend the frame at the back. I'd deal with the rust, modify the frame, then spray it. It will help you seal the welds.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:44 AM

small update. had a delivery today.
Name:  Capture22_zpsbecca6b9.png
Views: 59
Size:  618.2 KB

all for £21, including delivery. thats $33.00.
I dont care what anyone says, thats a bargain!

Old 01-28-2013, 10:11 AM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by richbransby
...all for £21, including delivery. thats $33.00.
I dont care what anyone says, thats a bargain!
That most certainly is a bargain, indeed!! Nice find!

Old 01-31-2013, 09:56 AM

Man - wirewheel that rusty frame and get some primer/paint on it. With a rear wheel hugger on the bike - I'm kinda curious what conditions would cause that? Lots of wet/salty roads, or an exploded or leaking battery getting all over everything.

The shock reservoir def looks like it has a lot of built up roag corrosion/grime.

I worked as a car audio installer for years - that wiring looks pretty good, even if completely inadequate compared to some of the stuff that rolled into my install bay.

CorruptFile - soldering is def a lost art, but what amazes me is people that won't use a butt-splice, twist on wire nut, or even electrical tape over bare connections.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky
Man - wirewheel that rusty frame and get some primer/paint on it. With a rear wheel hugger on the bike - I'm kinda curious what conditions would cause that? Lots of wet/salty roads, or an exploded or leaking battery getting all over everything.

The shock reservoir def looks like it has a lot of built up roag corrosion/grime.

I worked as a car audio installer for years - that wiring looks pretty good, even if completely inadequate compared to some of the stuff that rolled into my install bay.

CorruptFile - soldering is def a lost art, but what amazes me is people that won't use a butt-splice, twist on wire nut, or even electrical tape over bare connections.
salt deffo causes this kind of crap build up, i had this problem.... its deffo worth getting it sandblasted and painted, i not looked back on how much it cost i m just happy to of had it done. worth every penny!

Old 01-31-2013, 01:06 PM

Do you mind me asking how much it cost you to get it done????

I need to really. I'd rather get it done properly

Quick Reply: My 93 F2 project begins!