CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

motor oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 04:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default motor oil

hi everyone i was doing some research and trying to figure out what the best type of motor oil is to run in my bike 1993 cbr 600f2 with aprox 31xxx miles on it its my first bike got it for 500$ it runs great but has been sitting for 2 seasons before i bought it so i figured i should change the fluids and there were a also few things to fix the brake pads rebuild the forks stuff im guessing is normal for a bike with that many miles? the previous owner ran royal purple in it. any help is appreciated also what weight oil should i use and how much do i need for a complete oil change
thanx

Old 03-06-2013, 10:05 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hindsey123
hi everyone i was doing some research and trying to figure out what the best type of motor oil is to run in my bike 1993 cbr 600f2 with aprox 31xxx miles on it its my first bike got it for 500$ it runs great but has been sitting for 2 seasons before i bought it so i figured i should change the fluids and there were a also few things to fix the brake pads rebuild the forks stuff im guessing is normal for a bike with that many miles? the previous owner ran royal purple in it. any help is appreciated also what weight oil should i use and how much do i need for a complete oil change
thanx
You'll get a lot of answers here - I run Shell Rotella T6 synthetic diesel oil. You can find it on sale by the gallon sometimes. You'll need about 3.6 quarts if I recall correctly.

You won't go wrong with any of the major brand Motorcycle oils - when in doubt just use the Honda OEM oil - although it gets pricey at your local stealership. Just don't use normal automotive oil - it has additives that will screw up the discs in your clutch - the clutch in our bikes is immersed in the engine oil, unlike the clutch in a car. you need an oil that doesn't have the "friction modifiers" that most automotive oils have these days. Look for an oil that has a SG or SF rating - nothing above SG (SH or higher).

same goes for filters - I use a Purolator PureOne PL14612. It is the same filter that fits most Nissan 3.5L cars - so I usually just ask for a filter for a Nissan 350Z. Makes it easier at the parts place.

some will swear by OEM honda filters only. I can only share what I use, and I made my decision by reading what seem to be tons of threads discussing oil and filters on this forum.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:47 AM

I use the Rotella T6 as well. Some people claim these motors where designed for standard motor oil so don't run synthetic but I've never seen any evidence of that in any application. Synthetic has the same properties as dinosaur oil it just doesn't degrade and break down like normal oil does. Some people swear by motorcycle specific oils but I've had great luck with the Rotella and my clutch works great.
As far as weight I run 10w40 which is the factory recommended weight. I use wix filters but its all personal preference there. As long as its not a fram you should be good. Again some people swear by fram but cut one open and then cut open a wix or purolator and you'll see why they're crap.

If your changing all the fluids then I recommend some water wetter or similar additive to the cooling system. Really helps keep these bikes nice and cool on the hot days.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:09 PM
July 2013 ROTM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rotella T6 is the best for the money...i use amsoil 10w-40 with a amsoil fillter with is made by wix anyway...

Old 03-15-2013, 06:27 AM

Mobil 1. Dodge recommends it for my R/T. If it's good enough for my R/T, it's good enough for my bikes. And the best part is, it's in every Wal Mart in America and it's affordable, as synthetics go.