CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

How to check oil level??!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 03:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to check oil level??!!

I don't have an owners manual for my F2 and i've heard different stories on how to check the oil level. Ironically, I can't find anything that is very, very specific to the F2 (93) online. What I did today was start the engine and let run for about 5 minutes, turned off, let sit for 3-5 minutes, stuck dip stick in so rested on flange, but not screwed in. Got reading AT the very end of the stick. Am I doing something wrong? The key thing is how long to wait after turning the engine off. Check too soon and the level will be much higher than If you wait. I'm kinda lost. Oh and I heard someone say that you check the F2's oil while running. Tried that once, told a friend, he laughed at me. I need someone to set me straight. Really tired of worrying about screwing my engine up.

Last edited by outsider; 03-13-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:58 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

The bike needs to be level to get an accurate reading.

Old 03-13-2013, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by 74demon
The bike needs to be level to get an accurate reading.
The bike was level. That was the first and easiest concept I understood when I learned. If you could be more specific, here is exactly what I need to know:
1. Do you check the F2's oil while engine is running or off?
2. If off, how long do I wait after the engine is off to be sure to get an accurate rating?

The following users liked this post:
Beetlefan (03-13-2020)
Old 03-13-2013, 04:46 PM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's no different than checking it on a car, with the exception that you don't have to get the car "level", that is - just run the motor for a while, so that it is up to full operating temperature, 10 minutes or thereabouts would be fine, then, wait long enough for the oil, now thinner from the heat, to seep back down through the passages to the oil pan, once again, 10 minutes or so should be fine.

The following users liked this post:
Beetlefan (03-13-2020)
Old 03-13-2013, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by JNSRacing
It's no different than checking it on a car, with the exception that you don't have to get the car "level", that is - just run the motor for a while, so that it is up to full operating temperature, 10 minutes or thereabouts would be fine, then, wait long enough for the oil, now thinner from the heat, to seep back down through the passages to the oil pan, once again, 10 minutes or so should be fine.
Got it! Thanks JNS!!!

Old 03-13-2013, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by JNSRacing
When you catch the oil level at just the base of the stick, does that mean you have enough in the case that the engine can run without comprimise and you need to add soon, or does it mean you've ran an engine that had been running with insufficient oil to lube normally?

Old 03-13-2013, 11:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by outsider
When you catch the oil level at just the base of the stick, does that mean you have enough in the case that the engine can run without comprimise and you need to add soon, or does it mean you've ran an engine that had been running with insufficient oil to lube normally?
These bikes take 4 quarts of oil. If your right at the tip of the stick your not in any danger of ruining anything. Running low on oil only create issues for oil over heating and degradation and possibly wear on the wet clutch. You'll know if you ever suck air as the oil light will illuminate on the instrument cluster. If that happens do not run until you have the correct level. Really though just keep checking like you are and keep it around the safe level. A little more or less wont hurt much. A lot more or very low oil will.
Honestly I'd be more concerned with what kind of oil I use and how often I change it and what filter I'm using than getting the level exactly on the full mark.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also - on our bikes, you don't screw the dipstick back in to check the level - it is intended to be unscrewed. wiped off, stuck in the hole, then removed and take the reading.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:23 AM
Welcome Crew

Make sure it's at least on the stick before starting if it's been parked for awhile

Old 03-18-2013, 09:01 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've always wondered, Am I the only one that likes to leave the stop/run switch in the stop position on the first startup of the day until the oil light goes out?3-4 seconds of cranking. I figure that way, even if all of the oil has gone bye bye, I'm rotating on residual amounts instead of trying to actually run the engine. If the light never goes out, then you know you've got an oil pressure issue.

Quick Reply: How to check oil level??!!