CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Michelin Pilot powers vs. Pirelli Diablo rossos

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 09:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PlayfulGod
umm you dont ride with some of the ppl I do then lol

But I agree, with the average, sane, responsible rider, no they will never push the tires to their limits on the streets.

now who all fits that description on here????
yeah, exactly, sane and responsible. Anyone going into a blind corner at 85mph is asking to hit the old man pulling out of his driveway. Tires won't matter at that point. Common sense goes a long way in this game...

Old 07-31-2009, 10:29 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Polonius
Ooh, I'd disagree with that 100% I've never been on the track, but for riding on the street, I'd want something that won't slip when it's not supposed to. Something that can recover from a little sand on a curve that spits the rear out. Something that holds as you hit the brakes in the rain trying not to broadside that idiot who just pulled a left across your lane.

But personally, I run Michelin Pilot Roads. Better for wet, better for real roads. You don't need the Powers for regular street riding. Unless you just fair-weather it. Then I guess it doesn't matter much either way.
I've not seen a bike tire that wont slip on sand yet. PP's work great in the rain too trust me Roads are great tires too tho.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:39 PM

I had PP's on my '04 CBR 600 RR, and they were just ok. Not a lot of feedback when getting close to the edge of traction.

I would go with the Pirelli's if I were you. Heard good things about them.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Dissevered
I will bet you my imaginary 1 million dollars that that anyone pushing a street tire to its limits on the street will get hurt due to obstacles such as cars/animals/debris, or locking your rear brakes up due to inexperience WAY before the tire just randomly slipping out. Tires don't save your life on the street, smart responsible riding does. Not to say that I never did my fair share of fast cornering on the street,(well, what I used to think was fast... boy the track changes that view point) but I have even done that on cheaper off brands with out any problems.
Yeah, I see your point. I sure don't ride that hard! I guess for me it's two things: purpose built tires and peace of mind.

I get peace of mind on quality tires, never mind that I might be overdoing....

And I ride rain, snow or shine (That's Canada for ya), so I want a tire that is made well for slippery conditions. Yeah, PPs look hot, but I think the Roads are much more designed for street riding and multi-weather grip.

Your point is exactly why I wouldn't bother with PPs or other such hypersport(?) tires....

Old 07-31-2009, 09:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bmgcya
I had PP's on my '04 CBR 600 RR, and they were just ok. Not a lot of feedback when getting close to the edge of traction.

I would go with the Pirelli's if I were you. Heard good things about them.
I get plenty of feedback with my PP's. Proper air pressure is key for feedback

Old 07-31-2009, 10:09 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have run both and like the Pilot Powers better. The Diablos are a more "normal" shaped tire so take no getting used to. The Pilot Powers, at first, seemed awkward. But after a couple hundred miles you realize that they stick like glue and then you get this big dumb grin that lasts for about 3500 miles ... then you get another set and do it all over again

Not saying the Pirelli's aren't a darn good tire. I had zero issues with them. All in all a great set of tires. It's just that the Pilot Powers were better.

Old 08-02-2009, 07:20 AM

it is not really goin to matter what tires i decide on if i cant figure out my coolant problem. everytime i ride i have to fill the resevoir up and the its all gone. it appears that that the coolant is being returned to the resevoir under so much pressure that it is flowing out the overflow tube.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:54 AM

Pirelli's don't last,compared to any brand in car tires or bike tires.