CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

How To Replace Front Brake Pads!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 07:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How To Replace Front Brake Pads!?

I know this question might make me sound like a noob, But to be quite honest, I have never actually replaced brakes on a motorcycle. I noticed that my brakes (93 F2) sounded pretty bad yesterday so I got home and check them out. After inspecting the fronts, I noticed that the pad on the inside of one of the rotors was worn down more than the outside. It was to the point where the rotor started touching the metal bracket that holds the caliper in place. (Bad I know)

Now I'm going to replace them with some EBC brands that a local shop is going to get me for $80.00. Not bad I guess, But I want to attempt to replace them myself... Ive never done this so I wanted to know if anyone could actually walk me through it? Or if anyone has a link to a How To for an F2 that whould be great!

With that being said, When doing this, What is a MUST DO and what is a MUST NOT DO?

Old 08-15-2009, 09:59 PM

Unscrew the 2 caliper bolts, slide the caliper off, slide a screw driver between the 2 pads, pry the pads apart as far as they go to help retract the piston fully, pop out the pads, pop the new ones in, slide it on bolt it up and pump your brakes before you ride. It is very easy.

Old 08-16-2009, 12:05 AM

But don't I have to bleed the brakes? I also wanted to know if CBR F3 Pads would work on F2's?

Last edited by G-ShocK; 08-16-2009 at 01:45 AM.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:44 AM

Bleeding is not required, if your brakes are very responsive then you don't need to. Bleeding is for when your brakes feel squishy because air got into the lines.

F3 pads will not fit.

Old 08-16-2009, 12:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You should bleed anyway, over time brake fluid breaks down and becomes a dark color.

It is a maintenance procedure, to keep your brakes up to par it does not hurt to bleed the fluid at least once a season.

Old 08-16-2009, 02:12 PM

I attempted to do everything except install the pads today since I don't have them yet, And let me tell you, It was probably one of the easiest jobs I have ever attempted! The only trouble I had was taking off the caps so that I can unscrew the bolts.. It seems like the bike was sitting for a while though...

1. Anyways I wanted to know if there is any type of liquid or paste that I should add to the screws before screwing them back on. I watched a video on youtube where this guy put some red "seal" on the sides of the screws before putting them back on... Is that recommended?

2. If I decide to bleed the brakes since the fluid is looking a bit dark, Do I have to bleed them with the calipers off? Or can I do it with them on after installing the new pads? I think I will also be doing a How To: With pictures to try and help everyone who is new on here and needs to ask the same questions as I do. Thanks everyone for all the great help!

Old 08-16-2009, 03:21 PM

HAHA, G-shock, im drilling a cap off of mine, already broke an easy out trying to get it out, stupid soft metals.
The red "seal" is loc-tite, or thread-locker, you can use it, but it will make it a tad bit harder to get the bolt unscrewed, and make sure you dont get it on the guide section of the bolt, only on the threads. for bleeding there is a little spout at the top of the caliper, you loosen it, with a bleeder kit attatched you can get them from autozone, or make one. I've never had to bleed brakes yet, so im not going any further than that, i dont want to chance giving you wrong information. Pick up a haynes manual. worth the money. step my steps in the manual for EVERYTHING.

Last edited by dojomojo; 08-16-2009 at 03:26 PM.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Don't use a thread locking agent, use ANTI-SEIZE on brake parts, or you will never get those caps off.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:45 PM

Is there a brand that you guys recommend over others? Oh and where does everyone get their brake pads from? Any website you guys recommend?

What is the deal with sintered and non-sintered pads? Semi metallic vs Anything else?

Last edited by G-ShocK; 08-17-2009 at 12:14 AM.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Hershey
You should bleed anyway, over time brake fluid breaks down and becomes a dark color.

It is a maintenance procedure, to keep your brakes up to par it does not hurt to bleed the fluid at least once a season.
Yes, it is a good idea however bleeding won't remove much of the broken down fluid, if you want new fluid you need to flush the whole system. Bleeding just removes air. I am sure you know this Hershey, but the way you worded it may confuse someone.

Quick Reply: How To Replace Front Brake Pads!?