CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

hOW MUCH DOES YOUR RECTIFIER hEATS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 05:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question hOW MUCH DOES YOUR RECTIFIER hEATS?

I just got this new agtermarket one..

supposing the OEM its really bad and has bad reputation.
but after installing it, this ****ti thing gets really hot?

is it normal? some say yes some say no.

i maen after some mintues of a ride i cant put my hand on it cause its hOt.. not bolinig but very hot.

thank u guyz.

pS: by the way how much does your battery measures? at start and at 4k?

thank youuuuuuuu U

Old 06-08-2009, 05:08 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

R/R gets very hot ... this is normal and shows that it's doing its job keeping the battery from being overcharged. Whatever energy your bike does not use is dissipated by the R/R. It does this by turning the electricity to heat.

Battery should show 12 - 12.8 V at idle and 13.5 - 14.5 4K and over. If your numbers are close then not a big deal, just keep an eye on it. If they aren't even close then you got other problems.

Old 06-08-2009, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by chainstretcher
R/R gets very hot ... this is normal and shows that it's doing its job keeping the battery from being overcharged. Whatever energy your bike does not use is dissipated by the R/R. It does this by turning the electricity to heat.

Battery should show 12 - 12.8 V at idle and 13.5 - 14.5 4K and over. If your numbers are close then not a big deal, just keep an eye on it. If they aren't even close then you got other problems.
m m

its like 14 at idle =( and 14.8 at 4 k

should i worry?, the Stator is New and the battery also, could that be a reason? of this ?

Old 06-08-2009, 06:04 PM

I wouldn't worry much, but a they make a heat conductive grease (not sure if regular dielectric grease would due) that you can smear on the back to help the heat cross over to the seat frame, also make sure the spades are tight by squishing them a little and use a battery tender and plug the bike in when you're not using it. I've never had a problem. As I've attempted to remind someone else recently: Read the stickeys and use the search feature. Some people are getting POed answering the same questions every single day. It is also interesting to note that the Honda VFR regs have a computer fan mod that goes right on top of the reg. just to pump away heat.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:14 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

VFRs were notorious even for Honda to have crappy R/Rs

Old 06-08-2009, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Squamish CBR
I wouldn't worry much, but a they make a heat conductive grease (not sure if regular dielectric grease would due) that you can smear on the back to help the heat cross over to the seat frame, also make sure the spades are tight by squishing them a little and use a battery tender and plug the bike in when you're not using it. I've never had a problem. As I've attempted to remind someone else recently: Read the stickeys and use the search feature. Some people are getting POed answering the same questions every single day. It is also interesting to note that the Honda VFR regs have a computer fan mod that goes right on top of the reg. just to pump away heat.

thank you man very valuable info..

ill keep an eye on it. but seems to be just fine.. .

Old 06-09-2009, 05:53 PM

Would a bad rectifier cause no spark on my bike and keep it from actually firing and not just turning over or am I way off

Old 06-09-2009, 06:27 PM

The reg/rec's job is to charge te battery, if the battery goes flat, everything else could be affected, but it is not a direct relationship. If the battery has enough charge in it to run the ignition system the bike will run. The starting system itself draws the battery down and may prevent the ignition system from working which is why you'd also try to bump start the machine out in the field if it cranks over slowly and doesn't fire up, that would at least get you home. I recommend the battery tender; the less the charging system has to work, the less heat it produces and the longer it will last. It is not great engineering on Hondas part but it is a solution that i find works for me and makes my battery last more that a season or two.