CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Bike heats up & wont start HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 09:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike heats up & wont start HELP!

almost lost my job the other day, stopped by the gas station b4 work & my bike wouldnt start, waited 20mins & it started rite up. if i ride the bike awile then shut it off, it wont start back up unless i let it sit or cool down for a good 20 or 30 mins. i dont even know wer to start on this 1, HELP ME OUT PLZZZ!!!!

Old 07-17-2011, 09:51 AM
Old 07-17-2011, 10:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it happens again,just push start it.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:26 AM

The 954RR is pretty easy to compression start. The former owner of mine showed me how easily it could be done before I bought the new battery for the bike, and I've even tried it for fun a few times since replacing the battery. It's a benefit to have a lightweight bike at times like that!

Old 07-17-2011, 07:13 PM

It could be the starter. Look further down for the other thread about starting problems.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by letsride
If it happens again,just push start it.
i did pop start it one time it happened cause i killed the battery trying to start it. when i pop/push started it, it didnt start easy like it shouldve but it did start jus delayed like it took a couple cycles b4 it fired up. i read the starting problems thread and i seen the starter fixed his, u think im having the same problem cause it turns over fine even pops a little but wont start unless i let it sit or cool off a bit. thanks guys

Old 07-18-2011, 03:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure the starter has fixed this for sure yet. I haven't been able to get out and test the bike like I want bc of the random rain storms we've been having. My bike doesn't come out unless it's prefect blue skies lol. Is your bike having the same issues as mine? And, if you decide to replace the starter, do yourself a favor and remove the throttle bodies and go in that way. That or make sure to remove the coolant lines in there bc the space is limited. I replaced my starter through the side and and just barely had room.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by J0HNDiLLiNGER
i did pop start it one time it happened cause i killed the battery trying to start it. when i pop/push started it, it didnt start easy like it shouldve but it did start jus delayed like it took a couple cycles b4 it fired up. i read the starting problems thread and i seen the starter fixed his, u think im having the same problem cause it turns over fine even pops a little but wont start unless i let it sit or cool off a bit. thanks guys
I believe AJ thought his was turning over fine too, but it was spinning the motor just a little bit slower than normal. If you killed the battery, then push starting would have been harder. You need a little juice to prime the fuel pump.

Last edited by moosestang; 07-18-2011 at 07:49 AM.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:50 PM

Tank breather.... may be plugged. Tank builds pressure then it won't start till pressure relieves. Try opening your fuell cap and then starting it. If it starts its your breather

Old 07-18-2011, 11:20 PM

I have seen on another type of bike that the valve shims were so tight that once the engine heated up the valves hung open just enough that there wasn't enough compression to start it.

Quick Reply: Bike heats up & wont start HELP!